Thursday, March 10, 2016

What Jezebel and the widow had in common

“Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.” Romans 12:13

Good morning, dear friends,

As a young Christian, I had some very good role models in the faith.  I have already mentioned them here several times in my blog posts.  They by their very example shaped many aspects of living out God's faith in my daily walk with the Lord.

These same friends had a very insistent open door policy.  Literally. Their door was always open, to anyone in need, whether or not it was convenient.  Throughout the years I and countless others have been blessed by the open acceptance at their doorstep.

Their hospitality is rare in our day and time.  There are few families who give a standing invitation to anyone, everyone, regardless of the day, hour, or need.  How much I need to grow in this area of my life.

In my reading in First Kings this morning, I read the portraits of two very different women:  the widow of Zarephath, and Queen Jezebel.  Both of these women lived at the same time period, and even knew some of the same people.  But their way of life was completely different.

But the title of this blog is "what these two women had in common!"  They did have something in common.
  • They both had houses.
  • They both showed hospitality in their homes.

The results of their hospitality could not be any more different.

Sometimes we place so many restrictions on our hospitality towards others.  Our home is not good enough, or clean enough. Our sheets are old, our towels are frayed.   We don't know how to cook, or entertain.  We don't have Pinterest worthy attempts at anything.  

Hospîtality does not come from what we HAVE, but what we allow GOD to DO with what we have.

The widow of Zarephath had next to nothing. She was literally preparing the last food that she had, for her and her son, and then planned to die.

Jezebel had everything.  She owned the best that the nation of Israel could offer: a sumptuous palace, and enough food to eat and even waste.  

Having too little does not have to be an excuse, and having too much does not mean that it will be well spent. 

What they did with what they had was their responsability before God.

When Elijah asked the widow for water, she gave him what she had.  She must have had more water than food, because it was offered without hesitation.  When Elijah asked her for food, it was a different story.  She laid out her story to him:
And she said, As the Lord thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.  I Kings 17:12
This made me wonder:  do I only exercise hospitality towards others, when I am in abundance, or am I quick to give to others in whatever state I am in?  Do I only open my house to others who can receive me in turn, or am I willing to open my doors to anyone who has a need?

On the other hand, Jezebel lived in extravagance, but instead of putting what God had given her into His service, she took God's blessings to encourage sin and rebellion.  When Elijah confronted Ahab, he told him:
Now therefore send, and gather to me all Israel unto mount Carmel, and the prophets of Baal four hundred and fifty, and the prophets of the groves four hundred, which eat at Jezebel's table. I Kings 18:19
Those who live selfishly with the blessings of God, will never be satisfied.  When Ahab wanted Naboth's vineyard, Jezebel encouraged him to get it by force, killing Naboth in the process without hesitation.  (I Kings 21:7)  When we take God's blessings on our lives lightly, as something that is due to us, it becomes increasingly easier to close the doors to our hearts--and our homes--to the needs of others, to satisfy our own selfish desires.

May that never be said of me.

The results of these two women's lives could not have been more different.  By inviting the man of God into her home, the widow of Zarephath also was inviting God's blessing on her home. God provided her physical needs--flour and oil in abundance--but also provided for her in ways she could not have imagined at the time:  God restoring to life her son.

We have no idea what blessings lie in store, when we open our homes.

Jezebel's life ended just as it was lived:  tragically.  I would not say that her hospitality killed her, but her flagrant abuse of God's blessings certainly did.  She was killed by the very people that ate at her table (2 Kings 9:32-33).  All the riches and food that she had laid in store for herself went to feed the man responsible for her death.

What a waste.

I am so thankful for all the years that I enjoyed sharing God's blessings with my friends who opened their homes to me, time and time again.  I am thankful to say, that their children are following in their footsteps. Their love has been such a stunning example, of how I want my home to be:  not my home, but a home to anyone who walks through my doors.

May my door be always open to those outside, so that I may always be ready, at any moment, to open my heart's doors, as well.

1 comment:

  1. Great contrast! Thanks for the thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete