Saturday, March 21, 2015

Darkness

"Thanks be to God for His unspeakable gift." II Corinthians 9:15


Good morning, friends!

It is rare that a natural phenomenon short of a "natural disaster" takes precedence in conversation by all ages of the population.

Yesterday, this was the case. Everyone in our area was talking about the solar eclipse.

Granted, it was overcast here, so there was not much to see.  But the reactions of people were nothing short of funny when describing what was happening.

Recess was cancelled at our primary school.  The children might burn out their eyes, my son was told. (Yes, I know that there are real dangers from looking directly into an eclipse, but "burn their eyes out?" Really?)

We were being encouraged to stay inside during the eclipse.  I guess for the same reason, that I might burn my eyes out.

There is just something about an eclipse, isn't it?  Doomsday prophets of all descriptions have always used eclipses to fortell dangerous events, tied with such superstitions as threats to the monarchy as rivaling Hindu gods seeking supremacy.  People display their  fear when something as predictable as the sun can be blotted out, even for a time.

I think eclipses are just cool.  Unfortunately, it was so overcast here that the sky just got darker, so thankfully my eyes did not burn out.  Oh, well, there's always next time.

Of course, this was an eclipse that every one expected, counted on, predicted, and studied.  This week in God's Word I read about a darkening of the sun, however,  that no one expected:

"And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour." (Luke 23:44)

The longest recorded total solar eclipse ever recorded was in 2009, lasting a little over six minutes.  This is hardly the three hours reported in Luke 23.  This was a specific eclipse in response to a specific action on the part of God.  During this three hour eclipse, something so horrible happened that Jesus cried out from the cross:

"My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46)

How could God forsake His own Son?  Knowing the love that He had with His Son, and the close bond that existed between the two, only one thing comes to mind.  God turned His back on Jesus, because He bore my sins.

Webster's dictionary defines an eclipse as "the total or partial obscuring (darkening) of one celestial body by another."

How fitting.  The Bible reminds us that God "hath made Him (Jesus) to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him." II Corinthians 5:21

God made an eclipse of the Son happen, so that I might have eternal life.

Isaiah 53:4-6 tells us that God is the one who allowed His Son to be afflicted, for us:

"Surely He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows, yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with His stripes we are healed.  All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to His own way; and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all."

What great love of the Father for us, in allowing His Son to suffer for me!  What great love of Jesus, who was willing to fulfill His Father's plan.  Jesus suffered in my place to buy my pardon, took my spanking if you will, so that I would not have to be punished for my sins.

What can be my reaction in light of such great love, but great thankfulness!

The eclipse yesterday, as interesting as it was, only lasted for a short time.  It was dark for a while, but then the sun shone through, and it was finished.

That reminds me:  sin only eclipsed the Son for a short time.  Jesus cried out from the cross, "It is finished!" and then died.

I have to wait three more days after this moment to see the Son shine through.  But when He does, Jesus the light will shine forever.

May the Lord help me to be mindful of His gift today, and to share this blessed news with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment