Thursday, September 3, 2015

TPR

"My grace is sufficient for thee..." 2 Corithians 12:9


Good morning, dear friends,
Photo: stevepb pixabay

I'm a slow learner.

I'm not talking about "book smarts." Most of the time I remember useless facts and trivia much longer than I should.  My nickname is the "Recipient of Useless Knowledge." Enough said.

No, I'm talking about the smarts that come not from reading a book, but from living and experience.  It would be nice if all learning could come from an outside source, written by the experts, and I could open up my head and just pour it in, shake, and apply.

Most of life's greatest lessons learned do not come about that way.

This morning, I will go in for the first in a series of injections to my knee that hopefully will give me some relief in walking.  Earlier this year I was diagnosed with arthritis in my right knee.  Now, I know that is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and for those of you battling much more serious diseases, I feel a little foolish even writing this.

Bottom line:  Here in France, I walk.  All the time.  I don't have my driver's license.  So, to not be able to walk more than a few feet without stabbing pain is a big deal for me.

So, today's the day that I begin treatment.  Hopefully, these injections will be the first step (pun intended) toward me getting back on my feet. (sorry, couldn't resist)

This experience with me knee, however, has reminded me of another aspect of learning in "God's school:"  Some of life's lessons are best learned, and remembered, when they are experienced physically and first hand.

Years ago, when I was studying to become a teacher, I had classes on different learning styles of children.  I have forgotten most of them, to be honest, but there are a few that have stuck with me.  If my memory serves me well, one of the most complete ways for young children to assimilate new information is called TPR, or Total Physical Response.  The idea is to get a whole child's body involved in the learning process.

I use it a lot when I teach English to small children.  Show a flashcard while miming a gesture that the students associate with the card. Then, make the children stand up, put the cards on the floor, and say the word.  The kids have to run and stand on the card.  Their eyes, hands, and whole body have been involved in learning the word, and it's surprising what they remember.

I think God many time uses Total Physical Response to get us to learn as well.

In the middle of the night last night as I was praying about today, God reminded me of others in the Bible that learned unforgettable lessons from God when their bodies were touched physically.  Paul learned about God's sufficient grace from his "thorn in the flesh." (2 Corinthians 12:7-9)  Another Bible person came to mind last night as I was thinking about this truth:  Israel.

Jacob was facing a crossroads moment in his life.  He was leaving his wives' family, and journeying home with all of God's blessings.  Then, he must face his twin brother, Esau, whom he had cheated out of his birthright and his father's blessing.  Not knowing what response he would receive from his brother must have been a huge trial indeed for him.  Jacob was "left alone," as is so often the case when the Lord speaks or acts, when the angel of the Lord came and wrestled with him. (Genesis 31:24)

During this encounter with God, Jacob realized his own fraility and weakness, when faced with God.  God also left Jacob with a daily physical reminder of this encounter: "the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint..." (Genesis 32:25) Some Bible scholars believe that the reference in Hebrews 11:21, where Jacob blesses Joseph's children, "leaning upon the top of his staff..." is proof that this was a weakness that Jacob carried with him for the rest of his life.

At any rate, Jacob, like many others, learned to trust and lean on God, during the difficult physical seasons of life.  God allows these moments for His grace to shine, to be made more evident in the frailty of my flesh.

I am cautiously optimistic about the treatments today.  I do not expect immediate relief, nor to be able to walk as much as I once could.  I hope today that God will help me to remember how His strength is most evident when I am at my weakest, and that He will give me grace and peace, whatever the outcome of these treatments will be.

So much to learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment