Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Service for Others, or Service for Christ?

"And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ." Colossians 3:23-24


Good morning, dear friends,

Christ in Christmas, sounds simple enough, right?

Until the demands of the season outweigh the time, and the energy, that a normal mom (like me) should have to bear.

After all, who is the one who wraps the presents?  Bakes the cookies?  Decorates?  Plans Christmas meals and grocery shopping?  Cleans up after all the stuff is unwrapped?  Puts together the toys with a zillion tiny pieces too small for even my children's fingers?

(OK, the last one is my husband's job.)

Not to mention all of the normal chores and necessities that need to be done in the first 24 days of the month.

Sound familiar?

Photo: moritz320 pixabay

I'm sure that I'm not the only Mom that gets overwhelmed this time of year, in the service of others during the holidays.  Of course, I am glad to be able to love on my family and friends and serve them in the most practical ways, but there are times when I get caught up in all the service, that I lose sight of WHOM I am serving.

So, before that overwhelmed, "why me?" whine begins to whisper its voice in my head, I want to refocus my thoughts RIGHT NOW.

Instead of "why me?" in a pitiful, pampered, spoiled child voice, maybe I need to find a different tone.

Why would God be willing to give up His only Son, for me?

Why would Jesus leave the splendors of heaven, for me?

Why would Jesus "make himself of no reputation," for me?

Why would others be willing to take the gospel to great lengths (or across the street), for me?

"Why me?" is not always a bad question to ask.

When it comes to my service for others this holiday season, may I be constantly reminded of the WHO of my service.  My family and friends may receive some benefit for my efforts, but ultimately, my service should be directed not to others, but to the Lord.

"And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ." Colossians 3:23-24

Every act that my brain conceives should be an act of service, first to the Lord.

Every task that my hands undertake, should be for His glory and honor.

Every step that my feet take, whether during the holidays or everyday, should be first and foremost toward Him, and then in loving service for others.  

"For ye serve the Lord Christ..."

This holiday will be busy.  December is always a busy month.  If I am not careful, my eyes will constantly turn away from the Lord toward all the distractions and "busy-ness" of the season.

May every act that I undertake this month be an act of loving service first toward my Lord.


(Just a disclaimer:  I have a great family that helps me out in every way imaginable.  The rants above are just those lies that Satan whispers.  We have all been there, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment