Friday, December 2, 2016

Why Me? Why Now?

"And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed...And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.  And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child." Luke 2:1-5


Day two of the Journey to Bethlehem...

It has been said that the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  For Joseph and Mary, that journey began...with the step of obedience.

I think that many of us, if we had been in Mary's shoes, would have cried, "Foul!" She had already surrendered her body, her reputation, her life's choices, to bear the child that would become the Saviour of humanity!  She could have said, "I've already given enough! I've already sacrificed enough for the Lord! I'm staying put until this baby is born."

How many times have similar thoughts echoed in my brain: "I'm already a missionary!  I've already left my home, and everything that was familiar and dear to me, to go to a strange place and be treated as a foreigner. I've already made sacrifices!  I've already changed so much to be faithful to your calling.  I don't want to..." insert latest challenge here.

The Bible is silent on Joseph's and Mary's reaction to this decree to leave home and family and make the long trek to Bethlehem.  Maybe there was a visit from an angel to calm their troubled minds.  Maybe they had some knowledge about God's Son being born in Bethlehem.

Or maybe...they were just obedient.  The Roman leaders of the day told them they must journey, and so they did.  They reasoned that God had a plan, and that He would take care of them, if they trusted Him to make the journey.

A few thoughts about Joseph and Mary's obedience to God's calling:

Joseph's and Mary's obedience fulfilled prophecy.  By leaving Nazareth and going to Bethlehem, Micah 5:2 was fulfilled.  God's promise came forth, at just the right time and at just the right place.  

I wonder how many times my lack of obedience to God's calling has prevented God's work from being accomplished in just the right time, in the right place, in the right way.  Maybe I repented, and went later, but by that time, an opportunity was lost, and I missed the chance to participate fully in God's plan for my life.

May I be willing to surrender my desires to be an obedient servant today.

Joseph and Mary's obedience required sacrifice.  The trip from Nazareth to Bethlehem would never have been an easy one.  Ninety miles was a long trip.  It demanded preparation, and even sacrifice, physically and financially, to embark on such a journey.  Plans had to be made.  Supplies had to be gathered.  Schedules had to be cleared.  And there was this little thing about Mary being nine months pregnant that had to be taken in account.

I wonder...would I have been willing to make the same sacrifices?  Am I willing to give up my comforts, my plans, my desires for today...to be obedient to God?

Joseph and Mary's obedience...brought salvation to us all.  The Saviour was to be born in Bethlehem. Nathanael's words, "Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth?" reflected the views of the times:  the hopes of the Jews were not in the north, but in the area around David's city, and the light that was foretold to come and shine there. 

I think it unwise to speculate on Bible events:  "What if Mary had stayed put and said no? Would God have done a miracle to get Jesus to Bethlehem to be born?"  God in His perfect knowledge and wisdom knew that Joseph and Mary would go to Bethlehem, even before Mary accepted her calling as the earthly mother of Jesus.  For this reason, her acceptance--"Behold the handmaid of the Lord"--was indeed a big one.  Little did she know, at the time, all that God would require of her, to be obedient to His will.

Because of their obedience, however, God's Son was born in the right time, in the right place, in the right way.  And because of their obedience, salvation from sin came to all humanity.  Their obedience was not a "little thing."  Their obedience brought hope to the entire world.

I am so glad that I did not know, when I first said, "Yes," to the Lord, all the steps that my journey with Him would require.  I'm thankful that with each step I take, God is faithful, and gives me the grace and strength to make each one with Him.  Only at the end of this life, when I have finished my course, will I be able to look back and see God's leading every step of the way.  

May God help me to be obedient in this day, in whatever He calls me to do.  I have no idea how the decisions I make today will influence the lives of those around me, some of them for all eternity.  

What is God calling you to do today?  Will you step out in faith, to be obedient to His call?  


No comments:

Post a Comment