Thursday, September 10, 2015

Pay it Forward...

"Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time." (Colossians 4:5)


Good morning, dear friends,
Photo:  niekvelaan pixabay

Can I share a special story with you from yesterday?

I was leaving Amiens by train yesterday around lunchtime, and I had a few extra minutes, so I stopped into the shop in the train station to get a drink.  There was a young college student behind me obviously buying her lunch, so I decided that I would pay it for her.  I mean, what college student has enough money all the time?

When it was my turn to check out, I said to the saleslady that the young lady was with me, and to ring us up together.

What happened next really surprised me.  The college student began to vehemently object to me buying her lunch.  I simply asked, "You would refuse me the blessing of giving you a free meal?"

She refused again, so I bought my Coke Zero, and left.

I was stunned as I left the shop.  Who would refuse a free gift?

Who indeed?

I looked around the train station as I walked to the platform.  All around me, people were oblivious, most of them absorbed in their sandwiches and cell phones.  All around me, people were oblivious, that God offers each and every one of them His free gift of eternal life.  My heart waa touched as I arrived at the stairs descending down to the platform where the train would arrive in a few minutes.

I started down the stairs, and guess who was waiting at the bottom of the platform?

The young lady from the shop.

As I started down the stairs, I decided that I would ask her why she would refuse a free gift, and see where the conversation would go from there.  But she beat me to the punch.

"I have a bag of candy here," she accosted me.  "I want to give it to you.  You won't refuse a free gift, will you?"

Stunned, I thanked her, and she dumped the bag in my purse.  Then she asked me,

"Why would you want to pay for my meal?  You don't even know me."

Talk about a golden opportunity....

I shared with her about God's gift, and His love for her.  She began to cry there on the platform.  I hugged her and talked to her some more.  She told me her name, and then we parted ways.

I don't know the end of this story, but God does.  Maybe one day in heaven, He will reveal it to me.

There are so many opportunities every day that I miss, by not paying attention, or being too busy, or self-absorbed, or by rushing about.  How much different my attitude would be, if I would stop and listen to the Holy Spirit's promptings, and be ready to obey no matter what.

I will be praying for this young lady from Paris.  Maybe one day, our paths will cross again, and I will be able to share more of God's great news with her.

1 comment:

  1. Terrific opportunity! God knows what He'll do with the sown seed. Great story! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete