Wednesday, February 3, 2016

An Abundant Heart

"A good man out of the good treasures of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh." Luke 6:45




Good morning, dear friends,

For my countdown to Valentine's Day, I have been thinking about my favorite heart verses.  I have not been trying to establish a pattern, but just thinking about the verses as they pop into my head.  I just love how all these "heart verses" come together.  The verse for today just so naturally flows together with yesterday's verse: 

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." Proverbs 4:23


If my life flows from what is in my heart, it begs the question:  What is in my heart?

The Bible verse at the top of the blog reminds me:   whatever I have put in my heart, naturally will flow from it.  If it is "good," then that is what will come out.  If it is "bad," then that is what will come out.

Of course, I only want good to come out of my heart (and my mouth), so what is the "good" that I can put in?

God's Word:  "Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against God." (Psalm 119,11)

God's Joy: "Thou hast put gladness in my heart..." (Psalm 4:7)

God's Wisdom:  "Wisdom resteth in the heart of him that hath understanding..." (Proverbs 14:33)

When all of these are at work in my life, won't my mouth speak about "good things?"  What about the last issue of the heart:

"Thou shat love the Lord thy God with all thine heart..." (Mark 12:30)

Wow!  Now there's a heart filled with good things!

The "treasure" that is mentioned in Luke 6:45 talks about a storehouse.  I store up God's Word, and joy, and wisdom and love and all the other good things that I can about God.  Then, when it comes time to withdraw something from the storehouse, it can only be good, because that is all I have "laid up."

As I go about my activities today, may I be carefully selecting what I put into my heart.  May I be careful to confess sin in my life, so that the good does not get shoved aside by what is bad.  May I meditate God's Word, renew my heart with Bible verses, songs, and any other good things, so that my mouth will speak only goodness today.

So, what's in my heart today?

No comments:

Post a Comment