Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Are You a Heart Keeper?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." Proverbs 4:23




Good morning, dear friends!

My countdown to Valentine's Day continues, and after yesterday's post, I couldn't help myself!  If God has gone to such great lengths to give me a "new heart," then obviously I need to do everything I can to keep it new, right?  That's why today's verse is such an important one for me:

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." Proverbs 4:23


Keep...gives the idea of guarding something preciously.  It is the same word from which comes the watchers on the city walls who looked out for dangers, and cried out to warn others.

...thy heart...the center of my being, where everything that is important about me--my emotions, my will, my intellect--are kept.  It is also a root for caring for by keeping everything centered and in its place.  It is also very personal--"thy heart." I am responsible first and foremost for my own heart, and making sure it is centered on Christ.

...with all diligence...Diligence requires effort.  It will not just happen.  I must everyday put the desire there to protect my heart from the influences of this world.  This word is another word for guarding or protecting as well, so I must guard my heart by every means at my disposal, and then some!  There is nothing more important to be guarded today!

...for out of it...  What comes out of my heart?  Whatever I put into it!  How I must be careful to let God's Word and God's thoughts penetrate my heart!  Only if I am feeding my heart correctly will I be able to let out thoughts and feelings that are right with God!

...are the issues of life.  The word, "issues" speaks of a source, like a spring of water, and "life" of course is life!  Everyday living is a result of what "springs up" from my heart!  Just like the physical heart is what keeps me alive physically, my spiritual heart is what keeps me alive spiritually.  Is it any wonder that I am to guard it so preciously?

How do I guard my heart?  By keeping close watch of it!  Do I "coast" through a day, not paying much attention to my words, my thoughts, my actions?  Or am I constantly checking what I am doing in light of what I know about God and His Word?

Ouch.  Lots of work to do today.

Let's all be keepers of our hearts today, not letting anything get past the Lord's defenses.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment