Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Pray without...

"Pray without ceasing." I Thessalonians 5:17


Good morning, dear friends!
Photo: alexas photos pixabay

One of the most used appliances in my kitchen, especially this time of year, is my Crock Pot.

I must confess, that it took me a while to get to this place, but now that I have discovered the joys of "fix it and leave it," I wonder why it took me so long.  My favorites?  Homemade apple cider, and chili.  I can't think of too many more dishes that spell "fall" to me, than those, simmering low on a brisk day, waiting for the first taste test.  YUM.

Most of all, I enjoy the convenience of the Crock Pot. My Crock Pot has freed me to be able to visit with folks all morning, and come home to a delicious meal. My Crock Pot has fed the masses (or, at least the Bible Institute where my husband ministers.) It is my go-to for busy days, or relaxing days, or days where I have to be gone at lunchtime, but my family is at home.  No matter what I am personally involved in, my Crock Pot does its job when I am at my busiest, and later on, I, my whole family and the people around me, can reap its benefits.

As I was re-evaluating the important aspects of my prayer life, I revisited many familiar verses on prayer.  The verse quoted at the top of this blog has always inspired me, and been just a little bit daunting at the same time.  One book on prayer that I finished recently, asked the same question that I have pondered many times after reading this verse:

Is it really possible to pray without ceasing?

There are very few things that I do all day long, although sometimes housework feels unending.  (Didn't I just wash this?  How did this laundry basket get filled up again--wasn't it empty five minutes ago?)

Things that I do all day, every day, never ceasing?

Breathing.  My heart beating.  Thinking.

Praying?

That one's a little harder.

One morning as I was preparing a Crock Pot meal, my mind was wandering, and I thought about this passage.  And the Lord showed me some similarities between the two.

When I got up that morning, knowing I was going to be gone that day, I started with a specific plan.  I had to get the food ready.  So, even though Crock-Pots do the cooking, I still have to prepare the food.  (Last time I checked, the ingredients don't just jump in there on their own. So much for the theory of evolution.)  If I want to eat the food, I have to do the preparing.  Many times, I prepare the food early in the morning, so that it will have the chance to be ready when we are ready to eat.

One of the biggest challenges for me in starting off with a "pray without ceasing" mentality for the day, is that I don't start off my morning right.  I don't take the time to prepare my heart with time spent with the Lord.  I flutter about, doing useful things, but not the best thing.  If I don't take the time to give my day to the Lord, how can I expect Him to bless it?  I need to confess sin, read His Word, and pray for myself and for others.  If I take the time to prepare, my best efforts will be HIS best efforts. Without Him, I can do nothing.

I can turn on the Crock Pot, but if nothing is in it, then I won't be eating anything later.

Once the Crock Pot is prepared, then comes my favorite part:  the simmering, the slow cooking, that turns a tough piece of meat into a roast that is fall-apart tender.  The longer something cooks in the Crock Pot, the more time the flavors develop, the meat breaks down, the juices flow, and the taste is improved.  The meal cooks all day (or several hours) without me thinking about it.  And the longer it goes, usually the better off are the results.

I want my prayer life to be like that.  "Pray without ceasing" should be for me like turning on the Crock Pot.  My day becomes a continuous conversation with God.

OK, I have a confession to make:  I talk to myself.  All the time. I can't tell you the number of times that I have berated myself, laughed at myself, and most importantly, encouraged myself, in a one-sided conversation, that was not meant for another's ears (although my children and husband laugh at my outbursts constantly.)

What about this:  if instead of carrying on a running monologue, I set myself up for an exchange with God, all day long?

What if, instead of meaningless outbursts on my part, toward myself, I spent my day with God?  Praising Him spontaneously?  Asking for His help and wisdom as I worked, with every task?  Opening my mouth to bless others?  Humbling myself to His instruction?  Meditating His Word?

What a difference that would make in my life, and the others around me. Then, when my husband and children laugh at me for talking to myself, I can say, "Nope, talking to God."

Like a meal that has spent all day in the Crock Pot, how much richer my "spiritual flavor" would be.  How much more "tender" my heart would be to the Lord.  How much more a blessing I would be to others, if I spent my days meditating on God and His goodness to me.

May God help me today and all my days, to spend them in constant conversation with Him....




No comments:

Post a Comment