Sunday, February 14, 2016

Light-Hearted

"My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth.  And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.  For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.  Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.  And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight."  I John 3:18-22




Good morning, dear friends,

Life attacked last week...and the blog did not happen.  Sorry to leave you all hanging in the middle of my countdown to "Heart Day." I trust that everyone is enjoying their special day with the ones they love.

I spent my day in church, with the one I love the most, surrounded by some of those closest to my heart, and listening to my sweetheart proclaim God's love for me....

Today's "heart verse" is one of my favorite passages about the wonderful work that God does...in my heart!

For many years, even after becoming a Christian, I struggled with feelings of condemnation. I knew that God loved me, that God forgave me, but I was unwilling to forgive myself.  I knew myself, my past sins, my evil thoughts, my doubts, my self-loathing, all those things that Satan and my flesh would continually bring to mind, especially in the middle of the night.  I would beg God over and over for forgiveness for the same sins, never feeling the peace that comes from knowing my sins are truly forgiven.

My husband was the one that finally helped me to figure this one out.

We would have a disagreement.  I was in the wrong. I would apologize, and he would forgive me.  Later, still feeling guilty, I would go to him afterwards and ask for his forgiveness, a second time.

He would look at me blankly.  "I don't know what you're talking about."

I would remind him of the wrong I had done him.  He would shrug his shoulders and raise his hand innocently.  No clue to what I was referring.

I would become even more insistent, reminding him of the wrong I had done him.  

My husband gently reminded me that all was forgiven.  As far as he was concerned, my wrong to him never happened.  

I must confess, at first his attitude was a mystery to me.  I wanted to relive the wrong I had done, until I felt satisfied that all was right and forgiven.  My husband just wanted to move on in love.

Needless to say, my husband had the right attitude.

Sometimes, when we have disagreed, I would need a minute to cool off.  I would go away and then come back to apologize, but before I could open my mouth, my husband would say to me, "I forgive you."

I would get upset.  I needed closure.  I needed to make things right.  I needed to relive the moment, and then beg my husband for his forgiveness.  Nope.  He gave it freely, no strings attached.

It took some time for this attitude to work in my heart.  My husband was willing, at the very first, to forgive the wrongs that I had done him, no matter what they were or how often.  

I cannot tell you the impact that this has had on my life, on my marriage.  I learned so much about God, from my husband's willingness to forgive.

There is nothing more freeing, more comforting, more releasing, than KNOWING that my heart is clean, and that I am right before God.  

"My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth..." God wants me to put action behind my words.  When I say, "I love you," I need to be able to show it with my works.  My love should be grounded in the truth that comes from knowing God and His Word.

"And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him."  God has given us so many beautiful promises in His Word that we can know that we are His children.  This knowledge should reassure us of our position as beloved children of a Perfect Heavenly Father.  

"For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things."  Those times when I am tempted to doubt of God's amazing love and forgiveness do not come from God.  They come from my own flesh, Satan's whispers, my own tendancy to trust my feelings instead of what God says in His Word.  When God forgives, it is finished.  He knows all things, and when He forgives, there is nothing left to confess, work out, beg or plead for.  It is forgiven.

"Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God." Is there anything more comforting, and reassuring, than knowing that our sins are forgiven, that there is NOTHING standing between us and our Lord?

"And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight."  Just like a beloved child can come to his parents at any moment and ask, so I can come to God and ask my requests.  There is nothing between me and God, as long as I follow His commandments and do what is pleasing in God's sight.

Now there is a freedom from worry, or guilt.  Nothing between me and my Creator.  Forgiveness.

That is a wonderful heart gift this Valentine's Day.  There is nothing more special than knowing that I am loved by God, and that makes my heart lighter than air.

And you, do you know this forgiveness?  May the Lord help us all today to recognize the release that comes from the Lord forgiving all our sins.

2 comments:

  1. Terrific! Such an important concept. I still don't know how God gets rid of our confessed sins like that, but He does! Praise Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a thrilling thought! So thankful that my husband "got it" and passed the message along! Have a great day!

      Delete