Saturday, February 6, 2016

Heart Searching

"Search me, o God, and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts. And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24





Good morning, dear friends,

I love my children, but they can't find anything.

I'm sure I'm not alone.  Please tell me, I'm not alone.

Where's your backpack?  Your shoes?  Your homework?  My sanity?

(Sorry, that last one went a long time ago.)

To their credit, my children are getting better.  Mainly because I don't give in anymore.  If you can't find it, I did not eat it.  Sorry, keep looking.

I think I could hide an elephant in their bedrooms, and ask them to find it, only to be greeted by blank stares when I help them look.  "Oh, that elephant..."

Sigh.

When God goes looking, however....

...He finds.

I can't hide the elephant from Him.  I can't hide anything from Him.

"Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?" Psalm 139:7

Am I ready to pray this prayer?

"Search me, o God..." Examine thoroughly, inspect, with the intent of finding out...

"and know my heart..." Become acquainted with, very personally...

"try me..." Test, scrutinize...

"and know my thoughts..." Everything that I am, even the thoughts that I think that I don't even know about or understand, are as an open book to the Lord.

The Lord already knows all of this, but by praying this prayer, I want  Him to know.  I want  Him to examine, to test, to become acquainted with my thoughts and my heart's attitude.  Nothing to hide, nothing to keep back, but everything surrendered fully to Him.

Wow.

Now that's a prayer for today.  May the Lord help me to clean out the sin that clutters up my heart, and allow myself to be scruntinized by God today.

I wonder, what He will find...


No comments:

Post a Comment