Monday, January 4, 2016

A New Walk


"That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10


Good morning, dear friends,

Of course, it's easy this time of year to get caught up in New Year's Resolutions.  I have read many comments and lists of ways to make my life better and more exciting in the coming New Year.  As we know that many New Year's Resolutions never make it past January 10th, I feel it safe to say that I can post a list of resolutions for the New Year that I am SURE I will stil have intact at the end of 2016:

  • I will not abandon my family and run away to Puerto Rico.
  • I will not eat more than five salads a day, for my health's sake.
  • I will read at least 50 books in the coming year (or probably by February).
  • I will tell my husband and children that I love them at least once a day.
  • I will adult at least 200 days out of this year.

There.  Now check back with me in December and we'll see how we all did this year.

Last year, during my January musings, I came across an article about choosing a word for the year.  Last year, my word for the year was, "day."  I was surprised at how many times the Lord brought the word, "day, "daily," "today" across my path during my readings in His Word and in the circumstances He allowed for each day. 

(Just a side note:  On my Facebook feed, at the end of the year, I could put together a compilation of my most-used words in my posts.  Can you guess what words appeared the most?  Day and today.  Wow.)

Choosing a word for the year gave me a new perspective on my daily reading, and on the priorities that I fixed for each day.  So, I decided to repeat the process for this year.  And the Lord laid on my heart the word...

Walk.

There are so many amazing passages in God's Word that refer to our relationship with Him as a walk.  I'm sure during the coming months, I will be sharing some gleanings from my studies on this word.  However, one thought stood out to me, as I was thinking about the word walk:

Walking should be a natural, normal thing for just about everyone.

I know that there are people who cannot walk, and I am certainly not belittling them.  (I was one of them last year, when walking for me was very painful.) But when we see someone who is physically unable to walk, we wonder, What's wrong? because walking is a normal part of our lives.  It's one of the first major developmental milestones for a baby.  We cannot run before we can walk.  And, in the process of walking--moving ourselves physically from one place to another--we discover many things about the world around us, and ourselves.

Some of my favorite Bible verses about walking:

"Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead, even so we also should walk in newness of life." Romans 6:4

"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh." Galatians 5:16

"That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10

I am very excited to begin this new walk with the Lord this year, and hope that this will challenge me to be more faithful in my daily journey with the Lord.

And you, do you have a "word" for the year? Feel free to share in the comments below!

Happy walking in 2016, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Love your resolutions especially the Puerto Rico one.
    My work for the year is consistency (in the nice but not necessary things).
    I love yours. Walk, wow, that's something we have to work on daily.
    Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tori! Hope your 2016 is off and running! Lots of hugs from France

      Delete