Wednesday, January 27, 2016

To all the Naomis out there...

"...whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God, my God." Ruth 1:16




Good morning, dear friends,

It was déjà vu all over again...

Monday evening I had the blessing to sit down in front of my computer screen, and there on the other side, was my adopted family.  Mom, Dad, sister and their children, and instantly I was transported back to when I was 13 years old, lost, confused, and in need of encouragement.  Or 18 years old, making an important life decision.  Or 22 years old, the year I lost my mom to cancer.  Or 24 years old, waiting for the next day so I could get married.

There were a lot of moments, just like Monday, sitting on the couch with my adopted family, laughing, loving, crying, and being cried over. Hearing my adopted dad pray over me.  Being reassured of their love for me, despite the miles and life changes.

It"s a different couch, in a different place, but it's still home for me...

This week I have been reading in the book of Ruth, and as a hopeless romantic, I have always treasured the love story between Ruth and Boaz.  The beautiful imagery of Boaz putting his coat of protection over her reminds me of my Lord's salvation, and also my loving husband who puts his coat of protection and faithfulness over me as well.

But today, I am moved by Naomi.

I have a wonderful Mother-in-love, and you can read about her here, but today I just want to take some time and be thankful for all the Naomis that God has placed in my life.  Pastor's wives, youth pastor's wives, adopted moms, special sisters a little bit older in the faith.  Those women were not afraid to take a neighborhood child into their home, and love her to Christ, and keep loving her through growing up years, life decisions, and eventually the mission field.  So many women along the way, so many years of loving and caring and faithful prayers, have been poured into my life.

Could I ask you just to take a few minutes to think about the Naomis in your life?

Naomi took a heathen into her home.  Yes, there's no other way to describe Ruth.  As far as the law was concerned, we should never had even heard about Ruth.  The people of Israel were commanded to have NO dealings with the Moabites, much less to have their children marry together.  Naomi had left the land of blessing with her family, with the thought to save her life, only to be a stranger in a strange place, and ultimately alone, except for the heathen daughters her sons had married.

And yet, there was something in Naomi that left her daughters hungering for more.  Ruth especially could not be dissuaded to return to her people.  She was willing to give up everything that was familiar--her country, her place of upbringing, her gods--to be with Naomi and stay with her loving example:

"...whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God, my God." Ruth 1:16

I wonder, if my testimony for the Lord, creates that kind of hunger in the people around me.  Especially the ladies with whom I am in contact.  I am so thankful for the ladies that God brought along my path on so many occasions, who strengthened my desire to love the Lord and be faithful to Him.

Did Naomi realize, when she left Moab and returned to her people "empty-handed," that she was bringing with her an amazing blessing?  Here was Ruth, a young lady eager to be taught, and to help, and would ultimately be the one that God used to provide for her needs, as well as the needs of all humanity?  Because of Ruth, her life was changed for the better, and one day, through her children, Christ would be born!

I wonder, do we realize the impact that comes from loving and caring for other ladies, to bring them up in the faith, and encourage new believers in their spiritual journeys?  We have no idea the far-flung influence that our loving and caring today can have on others tomorrow!

I'm sure if you asked those that took me in almost 30 years ago, if they ever dreamed that one day I would be a missionary here in France, they would probably deny it.  I was a hot mess!  And yet, here I am.  (This is not for my boasting but for God's glory--I can't even believe it myself some days!)

How different our homes and churches and youth groups and our Bible colleges and our Christian homes and yes even the mission fields could be, if we would invest in the young ladies that God puts in our paths today.

I wish I could take time here to thank every lady personally who has been a Naomi to me, but I know I would miss many along the way.  Chances are good, if our paths have crossed, the Lord has used you to encourage me to be stronger in my faith.  Thank you for your investments in my life.

And may God give me the courage and patience and all the rest, to be a Naomi to someone today.


One of my Naomis, with her husband and my sister in every way but blood...




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you for being both for me... (a Naomi, but not that old yet ;-), and a sweet sister! )Thank you for the time you invest in my life and your faithfulness in praying for me. I am blessed to be influenced and encouraged by you and your walk with the Lord!

    ReplyDelete