Friday, January 1, 2016

Startup 2016

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you an expected end." Jeremiah 29:11

Happy New Year, faithful reading friends!

I almost made it last night to midnight!  I'm sure that I went to bed after midnight...somewhere in the world!

Whether you are starting off this New Year in familiar surroundings, or out of your comfort zone, may God grant each one of you His richest blessings and grace for this coming year.  I'm sure that this year will be full of opportunities and surprises, and I pray that God will help me to be ready for them all!

I'm not quite ready to leave behind 2015 just yet.  This week I have been going through my prayer journals, examining my requests and my "thank yous," and rereading the truths that God allowed me to see in His Word.  And while I'm not one for being overly sentimental when it comes to "out with the old, in with the new," I can't help but be amazed at the challenges God has led me through this past year.  If I had known then, what I know now, how different my perspective on life would have been.  May that be a reminder to me this year.

I don't want God to have to say to me at the end of 2016, "Ha! I told you so!"

Here are some highlights from my journey last year:

This blog!  Later this month will be my one year blogaversary!  God has allowed this blog to be a way to connect with so many of our faithful prayer partners around this world.  I'm so thankful for the blessings of many aspects of technology, and this is one of them.  I didn't make my "blog-a-day" challenge as I had originally hoped, but the discipline helped me to grow stronger in my personal time with the Lord. One of the most shared posts for this year, with over 700 reposts, was in relation to How to Pray for Paris, a "call-to-arms" for France after the November attacks.  How thankful I am for the possibility to share the needs of my "home" country with so many, so quickly.

My health! God targeted an area of my life in great need of repair:  my health and fitness.  With the help of my wonderfully supportive husband (who took the journey with me and is looking great!) and the encouragement of many of you, I am a shadow of my former self!  With the discipline of new habits came renewed strength for daily living.  Here's to a continuation in the coming year!

Encouragement!  One of the hardest aspects for me on the mission field is the feelings of isolation and loneliness that I encounter living thousands of miles from home, in unfamiliar territory!  While I love my host country, I am conscious that I will never be truly considered "at home" here.  What a consolation I have found in connecting and reconnecting with missionary wives all over the world, serving in areas much more difficult than this one.  I'm also thankful for the support and feedback of you, my faithful partners in the ministry here.  Thank you for "holding the ropes" so that we can continue in the work here.

At the beginning of this year, I always take the time to evaluate my priorities, ask God to guide my steps for the coming year, and help me to be more faithful to Him.  In the coming days I am sure that I will be sharing some of those ideas for the year, but one thing remains constant:  the desire to grow closer to the Lord.  May this year 2016 be just the beginning of a renewed walk and desire for the things of God.

Happy new beginnings to all!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a firm grip on the new year and the old. I can totally relate to some of your struggles being a missionary wife down here in Croatia I feel the isolation and loneliness you're talking about. Hope this year is all you want it to be. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying you have a wonderful 2016, growing closer to Him everyday! Love ya, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still trying to get a grip on last year and this year! But with God's help, ready for new beginnings! Love to all my faithful friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to this years blog accounts. These have really helped me in my prayer efforts for you and other missionary wives. Love you my sister of the heart!! K McCord

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,
    Your blog has been a TREMENDOUS blessing to me over this past year. Though I do t often comment, a lot of times I would read your posts several days after you would post them, but exactly when the Lord knew I needed them! It's so easy to feel loneliness and isolation on the mission field, even when there is other missionaries nearby! I have enjoyed getting to know you a little through your blog. May our Lord richly bless you in the coming year!
    Shellee from Hokkaido

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shellee! I love meeting other missionaries and gleaning from their experiences on the field! Thanks for your encouraging words as well! Praying God's best for you and yours this upcoming year!

      Delete