Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Happy New Bonne Année


"That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness..." Colossians 1:9-11


Good morning, dear friends,

There are so many aspects of French culture that are a lot of fun, especially when you observe them through the eyes of a foreigner.

For example, in case you missed it, we started a New Year a few days ago.

(OK, now even I'm not THAT clueless, but you would think I am, since I keep writing 2015 on everything. And probably will, until March.)

A fun French custom, is that the first time you see someone after the New Year, you wish them a "bonne année." To forget is to seem weird, or clumsy, or forgetful ("Didn't you notice that we just had a New Year?")

Which brings some funny situations.  For example, if I remember to say, "Bonne année," and the other person doesn't, they get kind of flustered.

And then, what happens when I don't see someone until about January 12th, do I still greet them with a "Bonne année?" What about in March?

The spoken formula is also a little comical as well.  "Bonne année, bonne santé, surtout la santé..." "Happy New Year, good health to you, especially good health..." This is usually accompanied by a recitation of all that has gone wrong with the person (and especially their health) in the past year.

I have a hard time not cracking a smile.  I usually reply something like, "Well, it's a new year.  Hopefully this one will be better..."

I had been thinking about this way of greeting each other after the holidays, and during our prayer meeting last night, my husband read the following verses before our praying time:

"For this cause also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding: That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness..." Colossians 1:9-11
Now, there's a New Year's greeting for you.

What if I greeted my friends in Christ that way?  More specifically, what if I prayed that way for each and every one of you today? And you prayed for me in the same way?

What a difference that would make in our families, our children, our churches, and our ministry!

There is so much more in store this year than wishes (another popular New Year's greeting, Meilleurs Voeux) and hopes for good health.  There is the knowledge of a relationship with my gracious Heavenly Father, who supplies all my needs, many of my desires, and knows better than I do, which are which!

May Paul's greeting be on my lips today, as I think of each one of you, and of those that are around me.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a powerful way to pray for someone! What a great thought and verse to meditate on before I go to bed tonight!
    Thanks, and may our Lord bless you richly in the coming days!
    Shellee from Hokkaido

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shellee, I just prayed this for you and your family! Lots of love from France

      Delete