Thursday, January 22, 2015

Mixed Messages

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." I Corinthians 2:14


Good morning, ladies!

There are many hurdles to overcome as missionaries first arrive in their country, that the term "culture shock" doesn't even begin to cover it. "Culture electrocution" is more accurate.  I remember at one point being so frustrated with the metric system that I cried to my husband, "I don't even know what a centimeterliter is!" The very strangeness of arriving in a country where EVERYTHING is different is completely overwhelming.

Perhaps the most humbling part is learning a new language.  Anyone who has ever tried at some point probably exclaimed, “How do the natives ever learn this?”

While I majored in French in college, I was more comfortable talking about French literature and architecture than I was asking for a vacuum cleaner.  Arriving in France showed me how little I actually knew, and how much more I had to learn.  

And still have to learn today.

There are times when I receive the vacant stare, the blank look, the suppressed giggle from the person with whom I am talking, and I wonder, "What did I say wrong now?'

Learning to speak a foreign language has made me realize even more the importance of communicating with others.  No communication is more important than trying to convey spiritual truths to someone who does not know Christ.

To these folks, I am literally speaking a foreign language.

Many times now I have been guilty of being impatient with people who, after sharing God's Word with them, just don't get it.  I marvel in disbelief:  How can they not understand what is so obvious and real?  Why won't they believe?

The Bible verse at the top of this blog reminds me that at some point in the past, I didn't understand the language of God, either.  I had to have a translator: the Holy Spirit.  He alone took the incomprehensible truths of God's love and made it plain to my understanding.

Today, instead of getting frustrated when people do not understand God's Word, I must remember that it takes time to learn a new language.  Lots of time.  And a good teacher.  The Holy Spirit is the revealer of God's truths, and He is a perfect teacher.

And I must remember that, just as the French people are patient with my lumbering attempts to speak their language, I must be patient as others learn God's.

1 comment: