Friday, January 30, 2015

Watch Your Step!

"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15-16)



Good morning, ladies!

One of my favorite aspects of life in France is walking.  The fact that I don't have a driver's license is one of the reasons, but even if I did, I think I would walk just about anywhere.  There is so much to discover on foot:  the joy of walking down ancient cobblestones, looking up and seeing the façade of a building almost 1000 years old, the pleasure of discovering a "new" café.  

Walking in France, however, is not without its hazards.  I like to think of them as "poochie presents." Enough said.

When my children were first learning to walk, there were two rules:  hold my hand, and watch where you step.  They would be meandering along, chasing pigeons or watching the clouds, blissfully ignorant of the landmines all around them.  And yes, I have cleaned more shoes than I care to recollect.  

Aah, sweet memories. 

As they get older, they are mastering the look-down-on-the-sidewalk-several-meters-in-front-of-you-and-plan-your-course-wisely technique.  Look down, and then look up.  Look down, and then talk to those around you.  Even at this, we have had to steer them around hidden dangers that they missed as they were caught up in the moment.

A few "near misses" on the way to school this morning got me thinking about my daily walk around town, and my daily walk with the Lord.

Ephesians 5 is an entire chapter that talks about our walk with the Lord.  We are to "follow" God, as dear children (v. 1), "walk in love" (v. 2), and to "walk as children of light." (v.8)  My attention was captivated by verse 15, which reminds me to walk "circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise..."  The word circumspectly means purposefully, paying attention in all directions (think "circumference").  

Not watching where I walk physically has disagreeable temporary consequences.  Not watching where I walk spiritually can have deadly eternal consequences.

The French expression for stepping in a "poochie present" is "marcher dedans."  Simply put, it means "walk into." No further explanation is needed.  Everyone knows what was walked into.

How many situations have I "walked into" in life, that if I had just been "walking circumspectly," I could have avoided?

God calls those who live their lives oblivious to the dangers around them, "fools." The reason that it is so important to live wisely is found in the next verse: "Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." (v.16)  The world is not a pristine laboratory.  I am called to walk every day with purpose, avoiding temptations, sins, and all spiritual obstacles on the dirty pathways of life.  God will grant me the wisdom that I need, if I just take the time to ask Him today. (James 1:5)

If my feet stray from my life's purpose, and I "walk into", then I have the promise that God will clean me up.  (I John 1:9)

So, where will my feet take me today?  Hopefully, they will stay clean...


2 comments:

  1. Funny, yet wonderful application. We had a friend in Toulouse. Apparently, they had to constantly watch; it was so bad before people were supposed to clean up behind their pooches. He had us holding our sides, talking about how disgusted he was! I LOVE your photo! The shoes are so French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lou Ann! Who knew you could learn so much from "poochie presents?" My coworker in English lessons gets SICK at the sight of them. Unfortunately, they're just a part of living here.

    ReplyDelete