Wednesday, January 28, 2015

One Life

"Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful." I Corinthians 4:2


Good morning, ladies!

It's been three weeks now since the attack on Charlie Hebdo here in Paris.  As many of you may have heard, twelve people were killed and more injured in a shooting that rocked Paris, and then the world.  A few days later, the men responsible for the attacks were killed in turn by the authorities. The following Sunday, many political leaders from around the world joined thousands of others in a "solidarity march," and many more took up the rallying cry, "Je suis Charlie" (I am Charlie) on Facebook and other social media.

Many of you wrote to make sure we were okay, and physically we are.  France as a nation, however, was deeply scarred, and many in shock that this happened on their doorstep.

Now, three weeks after the fact, those who died have been buried.  There is less talk in the media.  People are less afraid to leave their homes and feel free to return to their "normal" lives.

As sad as I am for this entire turn of events, I cannot help but grieve what was truly lost.

Life.

In spite of our political views, race or even religious boundaries, the one element that unites everyone in this world is that we have been entrusted with the precious gift of life.  No one on earth knows how long or short it will be.  Our lives will be marked by the choices and decisions that we make today.

The real tragedy was not only life that was lost, but also life that was misspent, on both sides of the issue.

The writers at Charlie Hebdo made their livings by openly mocking every ideal that French people value.

The men in charge of the killings retalliated with senseless violence, led by the misguided ideal that their god is only to be feared, and not lovingly honored.

But this is what these men and women DID.  This is not who they WERE.

These men and one woman were someone's children, parents, friends. They had food preferences and fashion sense, pets and hobbies.  They filled their hours living out their dreams and ambitions, only to have it stripped away in a moment's time.

They also have souls.

The truth is, one day my life will be over.  I will live my allotted days, portioned out by God's wisdom and His gracious hand, and then my life on earth will be done.

Life, however, does not end when I die.  How I live THIS life, matters to the next.

I can choose to waste this life in selfish pursuits, not caring how my actions destroy the lives of others.  I can seek to divide and conquer, oppress those weaker than myself, disappoint, hurt or even kill those around me.

But not for forever.

The Bible is clear that my life is a gift over which I am just the overseer.  And, like all those entrusted with the goods of someone else, one day I will have to explain to the Master what I did with what He gave.

Standing before the Lord, I want Him to be pleased with the life He entrusted to me.  And so, as I live the day He has given me today, I need to remember that when this life is done, it cannot be undone.

What will I do today, that will change my eternity forever?

2 comments:

  1. Really well said. I loved your balance in this and your application. May the Lord find us doing something worthwhile! God bless you, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement! Have a great evening!

      Delete