Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Taking Out the Trash

"Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight:  but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do." Hebrews 4:13


Good morning, ladies!

In my village, there are two garbage pick-ups a week.  On Tuesday mornings, we place our trash in opaque black trash cans, and on Friday all of our recyclables (milk boxes, 2L bottles, cans and cardboard) head out to the curb in transparent yellow bags.  

Once a week I get an intimate look at the private world of my French neighbors.  Now, at first that might sound stalker-creepy, but given how hard it is to meet people here, I take what I can get.

My neighbor that I never get to see has just had her baby, since there are formula bottles and diaper boxes in the trash.  Families with small children have bags filled with milk cartons.  Our retired neighbors go for weeks before placing ONE offering on the curb.  I always forget to put out the recyclables, so sometimes I have three, four, five bags to put out at a time. I am aware of my trash as others must be of theirs—“What are my neighbors thinking when they see my…?” 

My trash bags remind me of several spiritual truths:

1.  My life is not always as “tidy” as my outward appearance shows.

When God was choosing a future king for Israel, it was easy for Samuel to be distracted by the outward packaging, and God's rebuke to him is not far from my thoughts:  "...for the Lord seeth not as a man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (I Samuel 16:7)  How easy it is to cover up the trash in my life, put on a smile, and face the world as Super Mom, Super Christian, Wonder Woman.  (Don't tell my family, though--they think I really AM Wonder Woman.)  The Lord knows my heart, my attitudes, my sins, my motivations.  Many times they are FAR from the appearance I paste on for others to see.

2.  Our view into the lives of others is incomplete.

If I judged my neighbors only according to their trash, I might think they only ate cereal and drank beer.  Matthew 7:1 reminds me not to judge, because I don’t have all the facts.  God alone knows what hurts, trials, joys, and blessings those around me are experiencing.    I must listen to the Holy Spirit to discern the best way to talk to and help others.  Only HE has all the facts.

3.  One day, everything that was hidden from view shall be revealed. (I Corinthians 3:11-15)

One day, the real motivations behind what I do and say will be shown to all.  Everything that I have hidden in the “black” trash can of my life will be revealed, and only what is done for Christ will be allowed to stand.  No more pretending.  The things that I value in this life will one day be put on display, for all to see.  Am I living for that day?

Maybe it's time to take out the trash...permanently.



No comments:

Post a Comment