Friday, March 20, 2015

Cookies

"And the Lord said unto him, What is that in thine hand?" Exodus 4:2


Dear Friends,
One of the two plates mentioned in this blog

Have you ever done something once, created a habit, and then watch it grow bigger than you ever thought it would?

No, I'm not talking about the flowers that I planted in my garden six years ago that keep coming back, even though I don't want them there, and keep uprooting them as they grow.

No, I'm not talking about my Saturday night crêpe night, which has taken on a life of its own, to the point where I NEVER want to see another crêpe as long as I live.

No, I'm talking about a hidden talent, one I did not ever imagine that I would possess, or would grow to be part of my identity here in France.  Of all the things I had hoped to be known for, this was NOT the one I would have chosen.  Are you ready?

I am the Chocolate Chip Cookie lady.

I have baked cookies for neighbors, for the kids' school birthday parties, for sport fundraisers and end of the year tournaments.  I have baked cookies for Christmas tins and bake sales and for my family's enjoyment as well.

That's right.  I have a special ministry to the French ladies and families around me.  Basically, I make them fat.

I related this particular ministry to a church ladies' group via Skype this past weekend.  In the follow-up questions, one of the ladies asked me, "So, how did you get started in your fat ministry?"

Truth is, I really don't know.  It just kind of happened.

Whenever there is a visit to be made, or I'm thinking about making a visit, it usually starts with me baking a batch of chocolate chip cookies.  It helps that I really don't like sweets, because if not I would be in serious trouble.  While I am baking, I think about families that I need or would like to visit, and start praying over that visit while the cookies are baking.

Today I have two plates of cookies on the counter, waiting for me to finish writing this blog post, before they get delivered.  These are ladies that I have visited in the past, know me for the cookies, and, at least I hope, will welcome into their homes for the cookies' sake, if not my own.

I love how the Lord could use something so simple, and something that is fun and enjoyable, to bridge the gap between suspicion and friendliness.   Many times I have shown up at someone's house under the pretext of "I baked some cookies this morning and thought of you," only to leave an hour later after having shared a cup of coffee and some small talk that maybe, with the Lord's patience, will grow to something more.

There is nothing fancy to my cookies.  (The recipe is posted at the bottom of this blog.)  I use what I have, and then ask the Lord to bless it.  I think often of the verse I put at the top of this blog, when Moses was "explaining" to the Lord all the reasons why he couldn't do what God asked him to do. I'm not talented enough. I don't speak well enough.  People won't listen to me.   The Lord then asked Moses to show Him what He had in his hand.  There was nothing fancy to it, but how the Lord blessed that rod in the years to come!  It was this same rod that Moses held when God parted the seas, hit the rock from which water flowed, and budded in response to God's leadership over his life.

What have I got in my hands?  Chocolate chip cookies.  Who knows how the Lord will bless them in the minutes, days and years to come?  May my hands be willing to make, bake, distribute and share with others, the little that God has given to me, and may I leave the blessing for Him to achieve.

Chocolate chip cookies à la Suzanne
3/4 c. brown sugar (150 g. sucre vergeoise, bien tassé)
3/4 c. sugar (150 g. sucre)
1 tsp. vanilla (1 sachet sucre vanillé)
2 eggs (2 oeufs)
3/4 c. oil (150 ml d'huile végétale)
2 1/2 c. flour (325 g. farine)
1 t. salt (1 c à café du sel)
1 t. baking soda (1 c à café bicarbonate de soude)
1 6oz bag chocolate chips. (200 g. pépites de chocolat)

Mix sugars, vanilla, eggs and oil until well incorporated.  Add flour, salt, and baking soda.  Mix well, then add choco chips. Bake in 350° oven for 6-8 minutes until firm but not too brown.  Remove to cooling racks.

Mélangez les sucres, vanille, œufs et l'huile.  Ajoutez la farine, le sel et le bicarbonate de soude.  Mélangez bien, puis ajoutez les pépites de chocolat.  Faites cuire au four à 180° jusqu'à ferme mais pas trop dorés.  Laissez-les refroidir sur le comptoir.  Voilà!

Bon appétit!


No comments:

Post a Comment