Saturday, March 14, 2015

In Denial

"...And when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren." Luke 22:32


Good morning, dear friends!

Am I living in denial?

Webster's dictionary defines being "in denial" as "believing a statement that is saying that something is not true or real."

How many times, have I allowed my flesh and Satan to whisper these words to my heart:

"God doesn't really love you."

"You thought you were forgiven, but how can God forgive you?"

"How can you call yourself a Christian, after what you just did?"

In my readings through Luke this week, I came to the passage that I had been dreading.  Do you ever find yourself coming to a passage in the Bible, and imagine talking to the characters, hoping that if you could just persuade them, the writings would be different?

"No, Eve!  Don't eat it!"  "David, get off the roof!"  "Don't run away, Jonah!"  

Or, in this passage for today, "No, Peter!  Don't say it!  Don't do it!"

Unfortunately, the ink is already dry, history has been written, and what was done cannot be undone.  Life does not give take backs, or do-overs.

Peter denied the Lord.  Three times.  One time could be viewed as a misunderstanding, or a moment of weakness, or desperate fear.  After two times, one might wonder if Peter's devotion to the Lord was really all that he had claimed earlier that same night, when he said, "Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death." (Luke 22:33)

But, three times...

As difficult as it is to read of Peter's denial of the Lord, I wonder how many times a day I by my actions, or words, or attitudes, deny my association with the Lord?

Do I allow sin to keep me from living faithfully to honor the Lord each day?

Do I allow my daily fellowship with the Lord to grow cold, through apathy or busy-ness?

Do I allow my will, desires or plans to take first place over the Lord's will for my life?

Am I living in denial, of the very Christ whom I claim to love?

After Jesus's ressurrection, there is such a sweet restoration between Peter and Himself.  I am so thankful that God brought closure to this part of Peter's story.  Peter could have been left struggling with guilty reminders of his denial of the Lord, but Jesus reconciled Peter to Himself three times, once for each denial:

"Lovest thou me more than these?" (John 21:15-17)

This statement brings to mind another question:  What are my "these," and do I love Christ more than I love them?

Hebrews 12:1-2 reminds us to "Lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Instead of living in denial of my Lord, I should live daily denying my flesh its sins and weights, that keep from walking closely and faithfully with the Lord.

I can't "deny," that's the better idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment