Sunday, March 15, 2015

Surprise!

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." Revelation 3:21


My husband (in orange), the kids and Uncle Jeff
Good morning, dear friends!

Friday night was a fun night.  It's always a fun night when you can surprise your kids.

Uncle Jeff, my husband's brother, popped in for a surprise visit with us.  He was only staying Friday night, and then was leaving to return to the US early Saturday morning.

And we didn't tell our kids he was coming.

My boys, who were playing outside, saw him first.  My daughter was in the office when the doorbell rang, and we encouraged her to go open the door to see who was there.

I should have filmed it. Her shock and then joy were so beautiful and genuine.

That's one of the reasons we wanted to keep it a surprise.

I love surprises.  I love planning the surprise parties, or in being the "distraction" while plans and preparations are made.  That moment when the surprise is revealed, and shock gives way to tears of joy on the surprised guest, are just priceless to me.

Imagine hearing knocking on the other side of the door, and going to open it, and finding Jesus on the other side.

That would be a surprise indeed.

This verse in Revelation has been such a blessing and a promise to me, for several reasons.

1.  I am not the one doing the knocking.  Jesus is.  Romans 3,11 reminds me, "There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God." I did not go looking for Him.  He has always been on the lookout for me.

2.  He came looking for me with a purpose in mind.  I have done many days of knocking on doors for evangelism, but I do not make it a habit to go around knocking on people's doors for no reason.  Why do I knock on a door?  Usually I am seeking entrance to the other side.  I have business to attend to, or people to visit.  Jesus came and knocked, because He desired to do business with my heart, and to enjoy restored fellowship with Him.

3.  Jesus was calling and knocking. "If any man hear my voice..."  I had never really thought about this before, but Jesus did not only knock on my heart's door.  He called out to me.  His desire to see me open up to Him was so great that he knocked and called out.  This was not a hesitant rap, a second's pause, and then "I guess there's no one there."  This was an insistent knocking and calling.

4.  Jesus did not force His way in.  He could have barged into my life, giving orders and taking over by force. Instead, He waited for me to open to Him.

5.  There is a promise to be had here! "I will come in to him, and sup with him, and he with me." Jesus is offering me sweet fellowship with Him for all eternity.  All I have to do is say "come on in" to Him, and He does the rest.

Perhaps you have been following this blog, hearing about my blessings and burdens here in Boves, France, but you do not have the joy of knowing Jesus personally, and enjoying sweet fellowship with Him.  I urge you today to make your peace with God, and ask Jesus to come into your life. He is standing outside your heart's door, knocking and calling out, waiting to come in. The writer of Hebrews warns the listeners, "Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts." (Hebrews 3:8)

To know more about knowing God personally, click on the tab at the top of this blog entitled, "Home Away from Home."

I am so glad that when Jesus knocked on my heart's door, I opened up and invited Him in.  I have never regretted that decision, and I enjoy sweet fellowship and blessing from that time until now, with the promise of His fellowship for all eternity.

 Is He knocking today?  Will you answer?


No comments:

Post a Comment