Friday, March 13, 2015

I Have Prayed...for You

"But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren." Luke 22: 32


Good morning, friends!

Are there any more comforting words to hear from a friend's lips than these:

"I'm praying for you."

There have been many times during our travels in the U.S. when we have been assured of prayers for travelling protection, for blessings in our ministry, for financial needs, for comfort and encouragement in difficult times.

Sometimes I want to help others in difficulties.  I want to offer words of encouragement, acts of service, a financial gift.  There are times when this is just not possible, because of distance, lack of wisdom or lack of means.  I offer others that assurance that, while I may be out of options, my God is not.

Imagine, however, being told by Jesus that He has prayed for you.

Wow

Jesus was entering into the most difficult hours of His life and ministry here on earth.  His days had not been easy up until this point in His life, but the next hours would try His obedience to His Father in a way that nothing else had.  He knew who was leaving Him (Judas), who was coming for Him (the Roman soldiers) and what would happen in the next few hours.

His friends would abandon Him.

His closest supporters would deny Him.

His "enemies" would triumph--temporarily at least--over Him.

He would suffer physically atrocies in Him.

He would have the sins of the world placed on Him.

His Father would forsake Him.

At this critical moment in the meal, with all these thoughts weighing on Him, Jesus cares for Peter.

"But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not..."

Didn't Jesus know that Peter would deny Him?  Of course, because two verses later, Jesus tells Peter what will happen: "the cock shall not crow this day, before that thous shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me." (Luke 22:34).

Still, Jesus reminds Peter, "I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not..."

There is a promise in this verse.  Peter's faith did fail him, at least for a time.  He did deny the Lord.  He hid fearfully with the other disciples.  He did forsake the ministry (at least temporarily) and return to his fishing boats.  In the same way that Jesus announced He would fall, Jesus also reassured Peter with these words:

"...and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren." (Luke 22:32)

"Converted" in this sense is not referring to saving grace, but rather a change of heart.  "When you come to yourself, Peter, strengthen thy brethren."

Notice Jesus says, "when," and not, "if."

Proverbs 24:16 has long been an encouraging verse for me: "For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief."  For me, the emphasis in this verse is always on the part where he "riseth up again."  A just man may fall, but he will not stay down.

Jesus also gave Peter a job to do.  It's as if Jesus is saying, "When you come to realize what has happened, don't stay down.  Don't quit. I'm giving you a job to do.  Remember when your faith was weak, and use this to help build up the faith of others.  Strengthen the brethren."

Jesus praying for Peter must have been an amazing comfort to him in the days to come.  His faith was strengthened, and went on to serve the Lord for many years afterwards.

When I am tempted to quit, to fail in my faith, to walk away from my responsibilities, to stay discouraged and wallow in self pity, may I remember that Jesus prays for me as well: "he ever liveth to make intercession" for those he saves. (Hebrews 7:25)

May my faith not fail, but if I do, may I trust in the Lord's promise to raise me up again, and continue on living for the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. It's a blessing to know that Jesus STILL prays for us. In His prayer in John 17:8-20, He prays for disciples then and future. (That's us!) And, He makes intercession between us and the Father (Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:24-25.) I am always amazed at Jesus' constant help and care. Loved your post! I agree; there's nothing like the comfort that comes from people praying for us. God bless you, Susan! Praying for you, today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouraging words, Lou Ann! I pray for you folks as well! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete