Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Pestering

"And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?" Luke 18:7


Good morning, friends!

We are entering week two of our winter break.

(Insert scary music here.)

Our children go to a public school here in France.  Yes, there are always things to monitor, filter, screen and check up on.  There are teachers to see, friends to check out, and homework assignments that quite frankly we ignore.  

I imagine for any family, no matter what method of schooling one might choose, this is probably the case.

For our family, in this place and time in our lives, this was the decision that God led us to take, and we don't regret it.  

The schools here operate on a 6 weeks/2 weeks schedule.  That means the kids have six weeks of school, then two weeks off, with two months off in the summer.  Many of you are sighing in longing, but think of us in late June/early July, when we are still in school.

Last week was week one of our winter break.  Today begins week two.  Let the scary music...and the questions...begin.

In all fairness, my kids do not mean to pester.  After all, there are three of them, one of me, and SOMEONE is always needing SOMETHING.  As my children grow up, they are able to take care of more and more of their needs, and help out more, so there is less pestering to be done.  But, there have been those days when I have quite frankly informed them:

My name is NOT "Mom Can I."

One of these moments during a difficult and trying day, I remember telling my children the parable that Jesus relates to His disciples about prayer in Luke 18.  After telling them the story, I remember telling them, "If you don't find the answer you are looking for, you can always pester God."

I am always convicted when I read this parable about prayer.  How often have I prayed about something, did not receive the answer I was looking for, and just stopped praying about it?  How many prayers of mine have gone unanswered, because I lacked the perseverance to keep praying?

Doesn't God care about my problems, just like a Father cares for the needs of His children?

Why, then, do I abandon prayer, instead of faithfully bringing my needs to my Father?

I think the answer to my question is in verse 8 of this same passage:  "...Nevertheless, when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"

Faith.  

Do I truly believe that God cares about the problems I am facing today?

Do I truly believe that God answers me when I pray?

Do I truly believe that God is always good, and His answers are always for my best?

If I do, then I should be ready at any moment to pray, "and not to faint." (v. 1)

This passage in French makes me smile a little, because of the wording of the judge.  He says in verse 5 of this passage that he will answer the widow because he doesn't want her to "break his head."  This is the expression we often use with our children when they are driving us crazy:  "Stop breaking my head!"

Is this my attitude towards prayer?  Do I continue faithfully in my petitions, believing that God wants to meet my needs, to the point of "pestering" God?  

May God grant me patience to handle the many questions that I know are coming my way today.

And may I take my many questions to Him, and wait patiently for His answers.



No comments:

Post a Comment