Sunday, March 1, 2015

Unto the Least of These

"Use hospitality one to another without grudging." I Peter 4:9


Good morning, friends!

I have enjoyed visitng these highlights of hospitality this week with you.  I hope that you have enjoyed them as well.  There are so many more examples that maybe I will revisit this idea in future blog posts.  I have been learning much as I prepared them to share with you.

As I put a temporary bookmark on these verses that I have shared this week, I wanted to share a parting thought with you .  I guess the many years of hearing these words from my husband have engraved them on my brain:

What's my motivation?

Hospitality as I have already mentioned is a necessary part of the ministry here in France.  As I invite others into my home and am invited into theirs, I often bring this question back to mind:  What's my motivation?

Do I really care about the needs of the folks I am inviting?

Do I want to show off a new recipe or my clean house?

Do I reach out to others so that folks will think well of me?

Do I invest myself in meeting only their physical needs (cakes and coffee or tea), or do I support my guests emotionally and spiritually during these times?

Is my door "open" to people, so that they feel comfortable coming in? Or do I place unnecessary "busyness" obstacles in front of it?

When I am invited to others' homes, do I dread the long meals, the late nights, the inevitable alcohol debates?  Or do I welcome this time as a chance to get to know others?

What's my motivation?

The verse at the top of this blog speaks volumes to me, as I live and serve here in France:  "Use hospitality one to another without grudging." I Peter 4:9

I want my home to be a safe place, a confiding place, a welcoming place, an enjoyable place.  The only way that will happen is to have the right attitude towards having people in my home.

The word "grudging" could also be translated as "grumbling" or "murmuring."  If I have people into my home, or go to others' "grudgingly," I certainly do not have the right motivation.  I would be foolish to think that my guests (or my hosts, if I am invited out) do not pick up on this bad attitude.

When I open the door and invite people in, I want them to feel, and to be, welcomed in my home.  When I go to others' homes, I want to be the thankful guest.

Jesus reminds me what should be the motivating factor to my service for Him: "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as you have done it unto one of the least of these, my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matthew 24:40)

May every meal that I prepare for others, every cup of coffee or plate of cookies I share, every invitation I receive, be in my eyes as important as sharing that moment with Jesus.

I hope that my heart will be ready the next time the phone rings, or the doorbell sounds.

Who knows, who could be on the other side?

No comments:

Post a Comment