Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Not My Will, but Thine

"...but he delivered Jesus to their will..." Luke 23:25


Good morning, friends!

I have extremely little patience with French TV.

If it were not for the local news, and occasional sporting events, I don't think that I would ever watch another French TV channel.  Period.

Nothing drives me up the wall more than the panel discussion shows that are so popular with French audiences.  Almost at every hour, on every channel, you can find a host, a panel group of politicians or experts in a certain field who spend an hour in overlapping dialogue, shouted insults, and general nastiness.  There is no moderator, only rude people engaged in a battle of wills, like a bunch of preschoolers fighting over a toy or a parent's attention.

ZAP.  Or better yet, OFF.

I have no interest in debate for debate's sake.  I enjoy a respectful, intelligent discussion of different points of view, especially about spiritual things, where different parties remain humble and listen to opposing viewpoints without demeaning or hurting others.  No offense to those of you who enjoy political debates or even spiritual ones, but when the discussions turn to an escalating battle of wills, I'm out.

(Maybe as a Mom, I have to deal with daily battles of willfulness, and all I want is peace...and quiet.)

It is very sad to witness firsthand people choosing to do or say things in their own stubbornness, isn't it?  Humility is such a rare quality, and arrogance unfortunately so prevalent, that seeing people insisting on their own wills and ways has become the norm more than the exception.

As I was reading in Luke this morning, my attention was drawn to the verse at the top of the blog.  During the confrontation between Pilate and the crowd of Jewish leaders, there was an escalating battle of wills.  Pilate's desire, after spending time in conversation with Jesus, was to release Him.  In Luke 23:14, Pilate tells the crowd, "Ye have brought this man unto me, as one that perverteth the people: and, behold, I having examined him before you, have found no fault in this man touching those things whereof you accuse Him."

Granted, Pilate had all the authority to release Jesus.  He did not have to give an explanation to the Jewish leaders.  He could have said, "I release Him," and that would have been that.  He was after all the leader of Rome for that area, and his word was law.

There was also the will of the people, these religious leaders so stirred up by jealousy and hatred for Jesus, that demanded that a convicted murderer and traitor be released, instead of Jesus.  Their insistence on Jesus's crucifixion defied all logic and reason.  Their motives were not of justice, but of revenge.  Their arguments about not having another king than Caesar were ludicrous:  the Jewish hated the Roman oppression of their country.

What follows next is one of the saddest statements in this portion of Scripture:

"...but he (Pilate) delivered Jesus to their will..." (Luke 23:25)

How scary it is to make decisions based on my will!  The Bible warns me that "the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked:  who can know it? I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways..." (Jeremiah 17:9-10)

Even Jesus during His earthly ministry acted in submission to His Father's will:

"...nevertheless, not my will, but thine be done." (Luke 22:42, in His prayer to God the father)

"...for I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of Him who sent me."  (John 6:38)

How sad to realize that Pilate, in the case of Jesus, allowed himself to submit, not to a higher authority in his life, but a lower one.  By allowing the will of the people to govern his actions, he committed the greatest crime of justice that has ever been accomplished:  condemning the Son of Man to die.

How sad to think that in my own life, I have been guilty of giving into "my way," or the way of the people around me, instead of standing firm in my faith and beliefs for God.  

May the actions that I do today be submitted to God's will and plan for my life, so that my willful stubbornness does not cause me to bring shame to my God.  When I sense God's leading in my life, may I be willing to humble myself, and act as His child, and not in prideful childishness.

At least, I hope that I will...

1 comment:

  1. Really good! Sounds like the Spanish TV is just like the French. We ONLY turn it on for news and the very occasional soccer game. We totally agree with you. Loved your spiritual application. May we all be subject to God's will. He guides best. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete