Friday, June 26, 2015

Crunch Time

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Romans 12:1


Good morning, dear friends,
Photo: geralt pixabay

If you've been wondering where I am right now, you are in good company.  I don't even know where I am, so that's not very strange.

The end of the school year is always crunch time here in France.  Winding down the school year means EVERYTHING has a deadline looming in my face.  Deadlines are good, in general, because that means that there are things to be done, but let's face it...deadlines are called that for a reason:  usually, by the time I am done, I am dead.

English lessons are winding down for the year (just one more day on Saturday--woo hoo!) There are the two weeks of English intensive lessons coming up before the summer break, one with teens and one with the little ones.  Camp is looming large on the horizon, as well:  just three weeks away, and with the preparation itself just for getting my family ready and the lessons to finish up, well, it's a little bit overwhelming.

(Does the word "whelmed" exist?  It seems that people are always over-whelmed, so I guess being "whelmed" is my normal load.  Being overwhelmed sounds ominous.  But I digress.)

So, when the deadlines loom large and being whelmed is no longer possible, how can I cope with the stress of getting things done?

I can't.

Just like I can't do anything good by myself, anyway.

Deadlines are not the end.  When I have finished these man appointed tasks today, I will still always have something looming on the horizon.  As much as I would just like the roller coaster to stop today, it won't.  So, how will I choose to handle my emotions, when I just want to throw in the towel and run off to Puerto Rico or Tahiti?

I have to remember, that my life is not my own.  I am called to be a living sacrifice, available for service to the One who created me.  If there are deadlines to be met, challenges to be faced, things to accomplish, it is my "reasonable service" as a living sacrifice to be "up" for what the Lord has put on my plate, for today.

I am to be a "living sacrifice," not a dead one, or not one who seems to be dead.  A dead sacrifice is only good once--a living sacrifice is good for every day.

I am to be "holy" today:  keeping myself free from sins, like a bad attitude, a complaining spirit, a thankless heart, or murmuring lips.

I am to be "acceptable" to God:  to be pleasing to Him, no matter what the challenges are that I face today.

So, today, I have decided that I will not be overwhelmed by my deadlines, looking further than what can be managed today.

My two oldest have finished school.  My youngest son Joshua has his unofficial last half day of school today.  (School doesn't officially end for another week, but enough's enough.) So, I am going to pack a picnic and get out of Dodge, and celebrate the official beginning of the summer with them.  I am going to clean my house and then tackle the responsibilities that are lined up in front of me, one by one.

At the end of the day, may I get finished what the Lord has for me, and still be pleasing in His sight, for the way that I have lived today.

Your prayers are appreciated--we are all in this living sacrifice thing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment