Saturday, June 6, 2015

My Journey....

"The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore." Psalm 121:8


Good morning, dear friends!
Photo: stevepb pixabay

It's almost summertime here, which means...summer camp!

I have learned to love the camp ministry, even though it is one of the physically exhausting portions of our time here in France.  Talk about being stretched to your limits!  Tent sleeping, long days, lots of walking and playing sports and games, talking, correcting, sometimes in pouring rain (we had one camp where it rained 17 out of 21 days there...), many times in scorching heat, all while trying to keep a Christlike attitude...and a little bit of sanity!

Camp ministry is definitely NOT for the faint of heart...

I found out earlier this week that I would be teaching the kids this summer again at camp.  No preset theme for this year, so I was trying to think of a theme that would be interesting for the kids, as well as for myself to teach.  This year, I chose...Pilgrim's Progress!

I hadn't read Pilgrim's Progress through for a while, and never in French!  Can you imagine those who had to translate it the first time?  Slough of despond? Slothful?  The language is very unique, and there was no way I was going to figure all that out on my own.  So, yesterday I got the book in French on my Kindle, and read the entire book, taking detailed notes as I went.

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Christian's journey. I find myself cheering him on at every turn, encouraging him in every misstep, rejoicing as he swims the final river to the Celestial City.  Wow!  He made it...

And, one day, so will I.

My reading for this morning took me to Psalm 121, a short psalm but with so many beautiful truths about God.  He is my all-powerful helper (v.1-2).  He guides my feet on life's journey, because He is always present and "awake." (v.3-4).  He casts His shadow over me, so I will be safe and protected, not just physically in moments of danger, but also for my soul as well. (v. 5-7)  Then I arrived at verse 8, and just stopped:

"The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore."

My heart just rejoices in this promise.  Life is hard at times.  Very hard.  There are many days when its challenges seem threatening and overwhelming.  Knowing that God is there with me makes all the difference.  My heart was encouraged as I meditated this verse this morning:

"The Lord..." God is my Lord.  He should have the first and last "say" in my life today.

"...shall preserve..."  I looked up this word and it means to protect or to hedge about.  I know a little about real hedges, having lived here in France, where no yard is complete without the accompanying hedge.  It is a visual boundary, and a physical separation that provides limits and protection.  God limits what is able to get to me here on earth, and protects me during life's journey.

"...thy going out..."  What a comfort to know that each time I leave, I do not leave God behind.  He walks alongside me during this journey!

"...and thy coming in..."  God protects me and guides me, all the way until I am safely "home."

"...from this time forth..." I have assurance of His constant care and provision, during this life...

"...and even for evermore." ...and in the life to come.

Christian in Pilgrim's Progress faced so many challenges and obstacles as he walked the narrow path, and so do I.  What a comfort to know that I have the promises of God's Word, to guide me along life's journey, and the presence of God in my life with each step that I take.  May I rest in His faithful watchings and care over me as I live my journey today.

Where will the next step take me?

No comments:

Post a Comment