Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Lessons

"My son, forget not my law, but let thine heart keep my commandments." Proverbs 3:1


Good morning, dear friends!
Photo: geralt pixabay

My Dad and I had a fun conversation last night on the telephone, as we were remembering different life lessons that he and my mom had given me throughout the years.  As we were talking about many of the instructions that he gave me, I realize that while I may have forgotten many of the particular instances in which these instructions were given, I have not forgotten the truths that we imparted to me at a young age.

Indulge me for a few minutes as I share some of the wisdom that my parents shared with me throughout the years.

1.  There's no such word as "can't." This is one that Dad reminded me about last night, that I had forgotten, but it's one of the most important.  My parents never allowed me to say that I couldn't do something.  I'd have to say, "it's difficult," or "I may not be able to do it yet," but I was never allowed to say, "I can't." This could apply to anything from riding a bike to tying my shoes.  If I said, "I can't," I knew I was setting myself up for more instruction, and more effort on my part to get things done.  Philippians 4:13 reminds me, "I CAN do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

2.  I am NOT bored.  I really don't remember ever being bored as a kid.  I know there were times that I probably was, but I don't remember feeling that way.  There were always fun things to do growing up, that my parents did not supply, I might add.  If I ever made the mistake of telling my parents that I was bored, they would instantly tell me, "I can find something for you to do," and that was enough motivation to find something to entertain myself.  Their "something for me to do" was not going to be something that I wanted to do, anyway.  How different was my childhood from the activity based, scheduled entertainment of my children's generation.

3.  We're all in this together.  My parents made me work as a kid.  If there was work to be done at the house, and my parents needed to do it, my brothers and I were going to be a part of it, too.  We lived on a 5-acre property in Virginia, with lots of woods around it.  There was always something that needed to be done: vegetable garden to be tended, leaves to be raked, ditches to be cleaned out (from the same leaves), wood to be broken up for the fireplace, and things to be built and maintained.  Unfair child labor?  Not in our house.  My parents worked hard, as well, and taught us by example:  hard work is not to be feared or shunned, but necessary to keep things going.  Ecclesiastes 9:10 tells me, "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might."

4.  Never stop learning.  My mom put herself through college while my brother and I were growing up, with a straight-A average.  My dad provided for our family very well throughout our growing up years, without ever having a college degree.  He just kept learning on his own, and adapting to his company's needs.  Our mealtime conversations were always about things we had learned, or things my parents had learned.  We were always talking about new information, ideas, theories, and trivia facts.  If I ever didn't know something and made the "mistake" of asking my parents, their answer was always, "Look it up." (This meant, "look it up in the encyclopedia or dictionary," not the Internet or Wikipedia.)

5.  Books are your friends.  I very rarely saw my parents relaxing without a book in hand.  My mom loved mysteries, my dad loved science fiction.  It was unusual for us to go to the mall without wandering through a least one (or sometimes several) bookstores.  Books were regular Christmas gifts and birthday presents.  As we got older, I was allowed to pick out my own books, and pay for them with my allowance, or sometimes my parents would get me a book "just because." We had library cards and wore them out, every summer.  (That is something I dearly miss over here, and am glad when we go home on furlough: American libraries!  Such treasures!) While I was definitely on the "nerdy" side growing up, I'm glad I learned to love reading and books.  I have had so many enjoyable hours reading (part of the reason I was rarely bored as a child, I guess.)

As I look back at these lessons from my parents, I realize how much their teachings have had an influence on me, and how much I echo these same thoughts to my own children.  I am thankful for their leading by example and the impact that their lessons have had on me.

Even though I am sure there were times as a kid that I rebelled at these times, I'm glad that some of it sank in.  What an encouragement for me as a mom, to see the influence that my parents have had, and still have, in my life today.  If my children can remember even half of what I teach, and model to them, then I will be thankful to see the fruit in their adult lives.

Thanks, Dad, for all the life lessons learned...

No comments:

Post a Comment