Monday, June 8, 2015

Results, Part Two

"So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do." Luke 17:10 


Good morning, dear friends,
Photo: skeeze pixabay

As I was rereading yesterday's post, I almost felt like I had to apologize afterwards.  It was never my intention to brag about my weight loss, or to discourage someone else who has been struggling with their weight.

If anything, I have been ashamed that my lack of self control has got me into the situation to lose weight in the first place!

Two things are very hard about waiting for results from changes in my life.

1.  Change is often very hard to see, and results are often slow in coming.

2.  Once the results are there, there is an overwhelming desire to be recognized for the change.

This is so true in many areas of life:  training up children, creating habits, learning a new skill, or losing weight.  I know the efforts that I am putting out, and that little child voice inside my head is constantly clamoring for getting the attention and praise for the hard work that it takes to accomplish something.

And we all need that external encouragement, don't we?  Sometimes a small word can mean so much...

Isn't this so many times true in the spiritual realm as well?

As a missionary, many times it is very hard to wait for results, especially realizing that the results do not depend on me but on God who is faithfully working in the hearts of those around me.  As I mentioned yesterday, who doesn't like to see fruit for his or her labour?  There is also the added pressure from our supporters who are prayerfully joining with us and are also encouraged by visible results that our labours bring.

When those visible results arrive, there is much rejoicing and excitement and enthusiasm to keep going.  God's working!  Send more labourers!  Kill the fattened cow!  And, rightfully so!

But, if the only reason that I am labouring for the Lord is for the visible, recognizable results, there is a problem somewhere.

After all, I'm not the one who brought about these results.  God did.

And all the praise and glory should go to Him.

For many years, my husband and I have been encouraged and challenged by the verse at the top of this blog: "So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do." (Luke 17:10)

Attitude is everything, especially when it comes to doing anything for the Lord.

Jesus in this passage reminds His disciples that servants by nature...serve.  That is their calling.  When they serve and are faithful, their Master does not need to thank them.  This is their responsibility, and the Master thanks his servant by giving him more responsibility, because the servant has proven himself to be faithful.

Serving Jesus should be its own reward.  I follow His commands, in obedience to Him, and all credit goes back to my Master.  I am an "unprofitable servant," doing what is expected and required of me.

Why should I serve Him?  Because of my thankfulness for all He has done for me.

Whatever the tasks are that I am called to accomplish today, may I be reminded that God is the one who accomplishes anything good through me.  I am just His hands and feet, His mouth and His heart.  He is the one who brings the fruit.

When I am obedient to Him today, may I give Him the praise for the results, He to whom all honor is due.

May I not be motivated by eternal factors, waiting for the "pat on the back" or the thumbs up, for the reason to continue being faithful.

May my faithfulness pour from a desire to please my Master, who lovingly saved me from my own sin and placed me in His own family.

May I be that "unprofitable servant" today.

No comments:

Post a Comment