Monday, February 16, 2015

Duty-bound

"So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do." Luke 17:10


Good morning, friends!


Missionary "service" is not for wimps.

There are many joys to living on the missions field.  There are the joys that come from discovering a new country and language, learning how things are done in a new place, meeting new people, trying new foods, and of course the blessings of introducing God's message to people, many of whom have never heard of the Bible or Jesus.

There are also many struggles on the mission field as well.  The joy that comes from discovering a new country and language also comes with abandoning preconceived ideas about how things SHOULD be done, or said.  Meeting new people means personal investment, at the risk of having your good intentions mistaken for manipulation ("What does she want from me in return?") Trying new foods is great, until the new food happens to be rabbit head, or anything coming from the "extra" parts of  animals.  Teaching God's Word is wonderful, but getting to that point in my interactions with others is a long process.  It takes time to build trusting relationships where people feel comfortable sharing about the hard places in their lives.

Missionary service is just that:  service.  It's not a job.  It's not an adventure.

Quite frankly, it's a lot of hard work.

As a young person, I had quite an idealized image about what a missionary was.  I imagined the exotic locales, picturesque scenery, with quaint locals who loved Americans and all things foreign.  I visualized sharing God's message where people were eager to hold a Bible in their hands and couldn't wait for the time where they would learn its truths.

Then I arrived in France.

To his credit, my husband had tried to warn me.  He tried to temper my enthusiasm for the ministry here with his years of experience having lived as an MK in France.  While I mentally assented that things would be difficult here, I still thought of ministry in terms of a sprint and not a marathon.

Fifteen years since arriving here in France, I still find myself correcting false notions about the country and its inhabitants, making language "faux pas," and getting impatient with the pace of spreading the gospel here.

I can't tell you the number of times in my head where my flesh has whispered: "Is it really worth it? Why don't you just quit?"

The verse at the top of this blog and the passage where it is found have been such a source of encouragement to me during these "dry patches" in my life.  A servant by definition does just that:  serve.

There are tasks that are unpleasant, but as a servant, I am called to serve.

There is not always glory or personal satisfaction in the job at hand, but as a servant, I am called to serve.

There are needs to be met, sometimes when I have needs as well, but as a servant, I am called to serve.

I cannot do what I want, when I want, as I see others all around me "indulging" themselves, but as a servant, I am called to serve.

In this passage Jesus reminds the listeners that no servant takes care of his own needs before first taking care of His master's.  It was normal behavior in that context, and it should be normal behavior in my context as well.

When I get to the end of my time here on earth, I want to be able to say to the Lord that I have been a "faithful servant."  Maybe not the MVP-Servant or the Most-Likely-to-Succeed servant, but the Servant-that-Stayed-when-everything-in-her-flesh-SHOUTED-to-quit servant.

This life of service is not just reserved to us missionaries.  Anyone who has been saved have been called to serve.  The things that I have mentioned about France could be said about countries all over the world, including the U.S.  My friends, we are all of us called to serve, in spite of difficulties, disappointments and discouragements, as well in times of great joy, blessings and comfort.

How will I serve today?  Will I be faithful in the tasks that the Lord appoints me today?

"Duty" awaits.

(Picture from thepracticality.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment