Thursday, February 26, 2015

Honored Guest

"Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things..." Luke 10:38-42


Good morning, friends!

I want to share a silly confession with you.  It's nothing at all scandalous, but it's not something I usually mention.  Are you ready?

As a kid, I always wanted to be called Suzanne.  I guess for me, like Anne-with-an-e of Green Gables, Susan just sounded so plain.

Now I live in France, and guess what I'm called here?  You guessed it:  Suzanne.  And here, Suzanne is the common name and Susan is the exotic one.  Isn't that funny?

I love French first names.  My favorites have always been the hyphenated ones:  Jean-Marc, Marie-France, Pierre-Andre.  One such name always brings a smile to my lips, because while it is a common name here, I cannot help but think of the Bible story to which it corresponds:

Marie-Marthe.  Translated, that would be Mary-Martha.

You're probably smiling now, too.

It's difficult to think about hospitality in the Bible, especially hospitality shown toward Jesus, without thinking about this anecdote in Luke 10, isn't it? I have always been touched and humbled by each of the ladies in turn.

Martha was the one who invited Jesus, oversaw the meal preparations, and was overly concerned about having everything "just right." I believe that having Jesus in her home was such a great honor in her eyes, and she wanted to do her very best to honor Him.

Yes, she got carried away, and complained in her service.  I never liked being too hard on Martha, though, because in her place, I probably would have done the same thing.  Jesus's rebuke to Martha could have been said to me as well:  "Susan, Susan, you are preoccupied and worried about many things."

What are the "many things" that trouble my thoughts?  Life:  working through the details of day-to-day living, allowing the cares of this world to prevent me from seeking the Lord's strength rather than relying on my own abilities.

Then there was Mary, who was so enamoured with Jesus Himself, and with His teachings, that she didn't want to miss a thing.  I suppose I have my "Mary moments," too.  There are times when I get busy reading about God's Word, working on a lesson for kids or an interesting thought for this blog that I get late fixing lunch, or put off my ironing or other chores that I don't enjoy as much.

Quite frankly, I think the reason I like the name Marie-Marthe so much is because if I were honest, I think there is some of both Mary AND Martha inside of me.

Of course, Jesus's rebuke to Martha cannot be ignored: "But one thing is needful, and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (v. 42)

One day my service for the Lord on this earth will end.  There will be no more meals to fix, family members to care for, houses to clean, or laundry to fold.  Even Sunday school lessons, Ladies' Bible studies, and visiting neighbors and shut-ins will come to an end.  I will be standing in front of Jesus, and I want to greet Him like the honored guest that He is in my heart.  I don't want our relationship to be strained through neglect or stilted because of lack of communication.

Quite frankly, I don't want my "service" for Him to compete with my sitting at His feet, learning from Him.

I'm glad that the hyphenated name in France is Marie-Marthe, with Mary coming first.  After all, she chose the good part, didn't she?

I pray that I will today, as well.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Lady! I too, like that Mary comes before Martha. Can you imagine Jesus coming for dinner--and knowing Who He was? They knew.

    ReplyDelete