Saturday, February 14, 2015

Old Fashioned Love Story

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord..." Psalm 37:23


Good morning, friends!

I'm going to share with you a good, old-fashioned love story.  Yes, it's going to be mushy.  Yes, it will probably make some of you roll your eyes, or go into a diabetic coma at the "sweetness" of it all.

But, it's my blog, and it's my story, so you have been warned.

As a French major in my junior year of college I had the opportunity to travel to France to learn more about the language and country.  What I did not know was the wonderful way God was going to allow that trip to change my heart about serving Him in this needy land.  Upon returning home from this six-month trip I surrendered my heart to serve the Lord in France.

Shortly after returning from this trip, I was in the church near our campus when they hosted Jeff and Jane Abbett, missionaries on deputation to the country of France.  During their presentation Jeff mentioned that he had a younger brother, who was also on deputation to France, and he was single.

My ears perked up.  I nudged my friend sitting next to me and said, "I'm going to marry this guy's younger brother!"  We had a good laugh, and I didn't think much more about it.

I finished college with a small student loan that I needed to overcome before I could attend Bible college and prepare for the mission field. I took a job teaching French in the town of Lynchburg, and began attending a local church there.  Guess who were members there?

Jeff and Jane Abbett.

Guess who visited them there?

Carey Abbett, SINGLE missionary on deputation to the country of France.

I got to know Carey during that visit, and the subsequent visits.  We maintained a two and a half year long distance relationship in the time before cell phones, reliable emails, laptop computers, Tweets, and Instagram.

(Some of you younger whipper-snappers may be wondering, "How did we ever survive?")

My husband even had to return to France for six months while we were dating to get some paperwork issues ironed out.  Longest six months of my life.

Looking back sixteen years and three children later, I cannot help but be amazed at the depth of love of my Lord.  He knew the desires of my heart, and gave me so much more in my husband than I could ever ask for or deserve.

My Valentine's surprise from my honey!
I'm so glad that while He was ordering my steps, He was also guiding my husband's steps as well.  Now our footsteps walk life's road together.

OK, I'm done gushing.  You can go back to your lives now.

I can't wait to get back to mine!  Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment