Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Welcome...or not?

"Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little." (Luke 7:47)


Good morning, friends!

Have you ever been invited over to someone's house, and ever gotten the feeling that even though you were invited, you just weren't that welcome?

Maybe like me you have experienced the uncomfortable "re-invite." You know, when you invite someone to your house, so they feel obligated to have you over in return, but there is not any real desire there.  Or maybe, you are invited because you show up with a plate of cookies, and the person feels duty bound to invite you in.

One word: AWKWARD.

The host or hostess may not say or outwardly do anything to show hostility to you, but you know.  Even though the visit might end well, or finish at least less awkwardly, there is still that uncomfortable knowing that your presence is just not that acceptable.

I think of many instances in the Bible where Jesus was invited to people's homes, and quite frankly, was not made to feel that welcome.

(Can I add as an aside that many of the instances of hospitality toward Jesus in the Bible read as the guidebook of hospitality "don'ts?")

One instance is the passage where I find today's verse.  Jesus is invited to Simon the Pharisee's house, and though he was invited to eat, and the meal was right, the atmosphere was not.

Jesus outlines all the "don'ts" of Simon's hospitality in verses 44-46: no kiss of greeting, no water of refreshment for Jesus's feet, no oil for his head.

At the very least, any one of these oversights would have been considered a Middle Eastern hospitality no-no.

At the very worst, this was deliberate on the part of Simon:  a show of disrespect to a "not so honored" (in Simon's eyes) guest.

Jesus, being the gracious guest that He was, did not point out any of these oversights, until Simon showed disrespect to an uninvited guest.

This woman was not on the invitation list.  We do not know how she found out about Jesus, or how she got into Simon's house.  Simon obviously knew about her.  Simon had no qualms about displaying his knowledge of her wrong-doings.  At least, on the inside.

Jesus, however, knew the thoughts of Simon's heart.  And of the lady's heart as well.

I love the graciousness of Jesus displayed in this passage.  If anyone in the room had a right to judge this woman, it was Jesus.  His compassion must have overflown in response to her repentant heart.  Who would not be moved at such a loving display of sorrow?

When I think of my tendancy to hold onto wrongs done to me, or to take offense at ungraciousness shown me, do I not show the same unforgiveness that Simon showed to this woman?  Do I really love so little, that I forgive so little?

May God help me to forgive and love others as Jesus loved me.  He forgave all my offenses, so that I could receive His love, and then show that same forgiveness to others.

May Christ--and those He loves--always be "welcome guests" in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment