Friday, February 27, 2015

Rest and Restoration

"Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for today I must abide at thy house." Luke 19:5


Good morning, friends!

I have sweet memories of hearing my children sing Bible songs as they have grown up.  Of course, those of you who have children have similar memories, where sometimes the lyrics do not line up with the original words.  

My children loved the Zacchaeus song, but whenever they arrived at the crucial moment, it always came out, "Zach-ki-ki, you come down!"

(Sometimes I sing it that way on purpose now, remembering those times.  It always gets a smile from my family.)

I just love the story of Zacchaeus, because when we read the account in Luke 19, it's like a zoomed-in portion of his life.  His life for me is frozen in the time when he is up in a tree, trying as hard as he can to see Jesus.  

It's easy to overlook all that happened in his life before this moment.  I think that had we known Zacchaeus before this encounter with Jesus, we probably would not have been one of his fans.  After all, Zacchaeus was a fraud and a cheat, a liar and a selfish person, who stole from his own countrymen and neighbors to line his own pockets.  

(Of course, before I met Christ, people would not have wanted to know me, either.  There wasn't anything worthy of notice in my "old self," either.)

No, I prefer to start my story of Zacchaeus up in the tree, desiring with all his heart to see Jesus, "who he was, and could not, because he was little of stature." (Luke 19:3)

I had never before really given any thought to the fact that Jesus invited Himself to Zacchaeus's house. Growing up, I think that would have been considered a hospitality no-no.  Thankfully these were not Jesus's rules, or Zacchaeus's, either.  Zacchaeus "made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully." (v.6)

Just an aside here:  How different is this encounter from so many of the other encounters Jesus had in others' homes!  Jesus was welcomed joyfully!  Now, there is a dinner where I would have liked to be present!

At the same time, I can only imagine how Zacchaeus's conscience must have been smiting him.  Here he was, receiving Jesus in a lavish manner, which was gained in dishonesty.  I imagine that his time with Jesus made him very conscious that his lifestyle was FAR from what it should have been.

I am so thankful for closure to this story!  I have no doubts that Zacchaeus made good on his promise to Jesus: "Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold." (v.8)

When Zacchaeus opened up his home to Jesus, it was for a temporary rest, a reposing time of physical restoration for Jesus's body.  I'm sure there was a meal, and many comforts extended to Jesus.

Welcoming Jesus in his home however was for Zacchaeus a much greater blessing.  He found a rest to his longings and emptiness, and restoration for his soul.  Jesus declares it to him in plain terms: "This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.  For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost." (v. 9-10).

I am so thankful that Jesus came to seek after me, and to save me.  I have had that Zacchaeus moment, when I was longing to learn about Jesus, and to see Him for who He is.  I have invited Jesus into my life, and had Him offer the same grace and restoration to my soul.

Have you?  If you never have, why not today?

No comments:

Post a Comment