Monday, February 9, 2015

Love...as thyself

"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." Matthew 19:19

Good morning, friends!

As many of you have seen, for the past several days I participated at a Ladies' Retreat in Belgium.  Christian fellowship of any kind is always precious, but even more so as we labor here in France, isolated from another churches and their ladies.  I look forward to this refreshing time each year.

So, how did I get ready for the retreat this year?

Well, there was the usual packing, cleaning, and last minute instructions to my family.  There were the last sweet words exchanged with my husband.  

And, because I was looking like one of THOSE kind of missionaries, I did something I hadn't done since September.  

I went and got my hair done.

I'm a pretty simple person.  I'm not into mani-pedis or spa treatments or shoe shopping or any of those "pampering" treatments ladies usually enjoy.  I detest clothes shopping and only buy shoes when my other ones are more "holey"  than I am.  I color my own hair to hide my wisdom.  But every now and again, I look in the mirror and remind myself that I need to take care of myself as well, and so away I go.

While I am leaning back in the chair with the warm water running over my head, gentle hands massaging my scalp and making small talk, I wonder why I wait so long in between visits to the salon.

Then I remember:  when my monthly support comes from individuals who sacrifice their daily needs so that I can stay here in France, it makes me think twice about a once-a-month trim.

But there is nothing wrong with a haircut every now and again.

As a young Christian, I remember reading Matthew 19:19 and putting the emphasis in my life on the first part of the verse:  "Thou shalt love thy neighbor." I knew the "thou shalts" were commands not be ignored, and so since that moment, I have tried to pattern my life around learning how to love my neighbor.

Many times I overlook the second part of the verse:  "...as thyself."

How do I love myself?  I'm not talking about an indulgent, "I owe it to myself..." lifestyle, a selfish exaltation of my own desires above the needs of others.  How do I show that I love myself?

I take care of my body's needs:  food, clothing, and shelter.

I take care of my relational needs.  I have a husband, a family, and friends.

I take care of my emotional needs.  I seek out support for troubled times, and provide myself with pursuits that I enjoy.

Most importantly, I take care of my spiritual needs.  I seek out a personal relationship with the God who first loved me, and gave me all the blessings I enjoy today.

In the same way that I "love myself" in these areas, I am to do the same to others.  I am to love others sacrificially, unconditionally, seeking to meet needs on a personal level for the folks whom the Lord places in my path today.

Many times it will mean giving up something that I would like or maybe even need.  But didn't God sacrifice Himself for me? And will God not reward me in heaven for the sacrifices I make for others today?

I enjoyed walking out of the salon on Thursday and feeling like a "new person" again.

How can I show that kind of "new person" love to someone today?

1 comment:

  1. Good preachin' Sister! I totally agree about the mani-pedis. We are accountable for those who sacrifice so we can be on the field. I liked your balance and your emphasis. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete