Monday, February 23, 2015

Hostess with the mostest...almost

"Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching..." Luke 12:37


Good morning, friends!

One of the workshop sessions during the Ladies' Retreat in Belgium was about the subject of hospitality.   In a day in time where time itself is such a precious commodity, true hospitality is a rare gift indeed.  After discussing various obstacles toward our own reaching out to others, the discussion focused on how we as ladies could be more hospitable to others.

While I was listening to the various suggestions, a random thought popped up in my mind about hospitality in the Bible, specifically the hospitality that was shown to and by Jesus in the New Testament.

This week, if you will allow me, I would like to share some of my findings.

Hospitality is a big part of our ministry here in France, whether over a simple cup of coffee, or a meal, or a special occasion that we have planned for, like the annual Christmas party for my English teacher coworkers.  While I do not have as many guests in my home as I would always like, I know that I need to be ever ready for those times when someone makes an appearance.

Usually, people come over when I am the least ready for it.

My mother-in-love spent over 30 years in France before they returned to the US to take care of Carey's grandmother who is suffering with Alzheimer's. One of the many things she imparted to me in the years of our working together is something that I carry with me today:

My whole house doesn't have to stay clean, just the front room, or what someone can see from the door.

The reason is simple.  French ladies, as I have mentioned in an earlier blog, tend to be very fastidious housekeepers.

I am not.

I am not slovenly, but I live with a comfortable amount of clutter in my house.  As a write this blog, the laundry is piled on the table, waiting to be carried upstairs by my children.  My countertop still has the coffee stuff on it, because quite frankly we still need it this morning.  My desk is as usual cluttered from various lesson plannings, blog creations, and projects to be finished at a later date.

OK, maybe I am still working on the "keeping the front rooms tidy" part.  In about five minutes after I am done typing this blog, all this will be changed.

Hopefully, nobody will knock on my door before then.

(OK, small confession.  As soon as I typed those lines, I could no longer ignore the clutter, and remembered that someone is supposed to drop by later this morning, so I got up and straightened.  You have my permission to laugh now.)

If I have someone pop over for a cup of coffee, or to tell me a problem in their lives, or to share something they have picked for me from their garden, I don't want to be ashamed about my messy rooms.  I want to be able to throw the door open, invite them in, and be ready for the serving part of our ministry here.

The verse at the top of this blog reminds me that one day, when I least expect it, I will appear before the Lord to give an account of my servanthood for Him.  There won't be time to tidy up my life, confess sin, change my attitudes, make things right with others.  The Lord will return, and I want to be ready when He does.   I should be ever watching for His appearance, with a "clean house" so that I am not ashamed.

Now that I am aware of entertaining my Lord at a moment's notice, maybe it's time to clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment