Tuesday, February 10, 2015

With all thine heart

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." Deuteronomy 6:5


Good morning, friends!

It's been three days since I've been back home from the ladies' retreat, and I have tried in vain, but I just can't do it.

Today, I quit.

What do I quit, you might ask?  Well, while we were at the retreat, we were taught a song from Deuteronomy 6:5 that is 

stuck. 

in. 

my. 

head.

I have tried replacing it with other songs.  I have tried in vain to sing it at the top of my lungs so I can get it out of my system.  

It won't budge.

My husband and kids are going around the house humming and whistling it.  

I even hear it in my sleep. 

I suppose there are worse things to have stuck in my head.  Itsy Bitsy Spider.  Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes.  Row Row Your Boat.  

OK, that didn't work.

Instead of fighting it, I am giving in.  I mean, the words are Scripture, right? So, since I cannot help but sing the words, I want to make the most of them.

Love:  I should have an affection for:

the Lord:  the object of my affection

thy God:  a personal attachment.  He is MY God.

with all thine heart: center of my feelings, will, and intellect.

and with all thy soul:  my self, my conscious, breathing part of me.

and with all thy might:  my abilities.

To sum it up, I should have an affection for my God in such a personal way that it captivates my entire being.  No part of me can be left out in this devotion to my God.

Try as I might, I am still humming it, snapping my fingers to it, even singing it.  

But am I living it?

No comments:

Post a Comment