Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Hostess Gift

"His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it." John 2:5


Good morning, friends!

When Americans think of the French, especially of Parisians, unfortunately the word "hospitable" does not usually come to mind.

As a whole, French folks are more reserved than the average American, giving the impression that they are standoffish or rude.

There ARE rude French folks, just like there ARE rude Americans.  Sorry to burst your bubble.

There are many layers to French hospitality and so many nuances and unspoken rules of etiquette that it is easy to offend, without even meaning to.  After 15 years of living here and 15 years of social blunders, I am still trying to figure out many times what is acceptable and what is not.

One of my favorite aspects of hospitality in France however is the hostess gift. Usually it comes as a bouquet of flowers, or maybe a box of chocolates if it happens to be around Christmastime.  My children enjoy a "children's gift," usually in the form of candy or a small toy or book that often arrives when grown ups come to visit.

I must confess that this is one of my favorite aspects of having folks over.  I love bouquets of flowers, and that hostess gift is a little extra gesture that is not at all lavish, but very appreciated.  It lets me know that my offer of hospitality is accepted and that the guests are thankful for being invited.

One of the "hospitality" occasions with Jesus reminded me of a hostess gift that was very much appreciated.  It's in John 2, and Jesus was the one doing the giving.

Remember the story?  The host of the wedding had run out of wine, which as the host of the wedding feast, would have been a major "faux pas" in Middle Eastern hospitality.  Jesus told the servants to fill the waterpots with water, and take it to the master of the feast.  When he had tasted it, he declared that it was the best that he had ever had.

There was no gain for Jesus in giving this wine.  The only ones who were aware of what had happened were the servants, his mother, and his disciples. The host of the feast was certainly none the wiser.

I have listened to and read many debates about WHY Jesus did this first miracle.  Some said that He did it to satisfy his earthly mother, who was encouraging him to "do something."  Others have stated that Jesus did not want the host to be embarrassed.

I have read many ludicrous commentaries about HOW Jesus did it.  I will not insult your intelligence with their reasonings.  People love to try to explain away a miracle.

The only explanation given to this first miracle is in verse 11:

"This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory; and His disciples believed on Him."

When I read this verse, I realize that Jesus's first miracle was like other miracles He performed.  This miracle revealed His glory:  Jesus as God has all power over all creation, including whatever needed to be done to change water into wine.  The other aspect of this miracle is that it affirmed the faith of His followers.  Those who witnessed this miracle, believed on Him even more.

I believe that it also reveals another aspect of Jesus's character:  His love and compassion for others.

Jesus loves to give.

When I think of all the hostess gifts that I have received over the years, the ones that have meant the most to me were given by people who show their love and appreciation at other times as well.  I know that I am loved, whether or not I am hosting them in my home.  Those gifts speak volumes to me, more than the polite obligations of fulfilling a social debt.

I am sure the master of the wedding feast was grateful for Jesus's gift, even though he did not know from whom it came.

I pray that I will always be thankful for Jesus's gift of eternal life, especially since I know to whom all praise and thanks is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment