Monday, February 2, 2015

Pressed

"For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead, And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again." II Corithians 5:14, 15



I have a love/hate relationship with jogging.  I love the "jogging" part: getting out in the early morning, testing my limits, and of course the way I feel when I'm all done.  There's that good muscle tired, euphoric feeling that leaves me energized and ready to start my day.

Then there's the "going" part.  The getting out of my warm bed part.  The getting dressed twice in the morning part.  The sweaty nastiness and the morning shower part.  

And in January/February, it's just plain cold.

In order to get up and out on days like yesterday, with freezing temperatures and general February yuckiness, I have to love the outcome so much that I am willing to submit to all the unpleasantries. I have to remind myself that while I do not enjoy all the preparation, I love the results.

And so I go.

How many of life's daily activities are motivated not by love of the process, but love of the result?  I don't like cleaning house, but I love the result of having an orderly, tidy home.  I don't love correcting my children, but I love enjoying my children and being around them.  I don't love washing clothes or ironing, or digging ball point pens out of the dryer, but I love pulling on sweet smelling, nicely pressed clothes at the beginning of my day.

Sometimes I wonder, "Is the unpleasant task I'm facing today worth the effort to arrive at the finished result? Is it worth it?"

And then I think about Jesus.

I'm so thankful that Jesus, while He did not love the process, He was so moved by love, that He went to the cross, so that I might benefit from the end result.  The Bible is clear that Jesus "endured the cross, despising the shame..." (Hebrews 12:2) He did not rejoice in the suffering, the mistreatment, the agony, but He did it willingly, so that He could be obedient to His Father, and allow me access to heaven forever.

In light of such a great love, the verses in II Corinthians 5:14-15 are a great source of encouragement, as well as a greater conviction.  Because Jesus was willing to give all for me, I should be willing to give all, to others.  The word "constraineth" means to urge on, press, compel, or drive.  What should cause me to press on?  I should continue because without God's love I was dead in my spirit, as are those around me.

This verse goes on to say that because I have benefited from God's wonderful love, that I should no longer live for myself, "but unto Him which died for them, and rose again."  This is the daily process, which reaps eternal results.

This is the motivation that I have to get up and out, doing what God has placed upon my heart today.  Will I love like Jesus, even though the process is long, complicated and even seemingly fruitless at times?

And yet, how can I do less?  In light of He who gave all for me, how can I not give myself in love today?

How great is my love for Christ?  Is it enough to love others today?

No comments:

Post a Comment