Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Coded Messages

"And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken." Luke 18:34


Good morning, friends!

Did you ever invent a secret code for you and your friends when you were little?  

I remember my early attempts at coded messages, thinking my A=1, B=2, etc coded messages were very clever.  I remember learning to speak "pig latin," thinking that I could say whatever I wanted and no one would ever understand me.

(A few well-placed smacks on my bottom after I sassed my mom in this "secret language" assured me that this was NOT the case.)

I had a "grown up" experience with a secret code this week, during one of my English lessons with an adult.  I was playing a recorded voice of a soldier from WWI, with a decidedly British accent that was very difficult to understand. Even as I was listening, I wondered, "Is he speaking English there?"

My student was very relieved when I produced the transcript of the recording.  Finally, something to decode the "secret message" of the recording she was hearing!  All of a sudden, the unrecognizable language patterns and sounds, with the written words, became intelligible to her ears!

A passage in Luke 18 became very clear to me as I was reading this morning.  Jesus had just finished describing what would happen to Him on this earth in just a short while, even using the prophets as reference:

"For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: And they shall scourge him, and put him to death:  and the third day he shall rise again." (Luke 18:32-33)

Even though the disciples had the words of the prophets, and the teachings of Jesus, this message was still incomprehensible to them.  They had the coded message, but without the decoder, the words did not have any meaning.  This saying, the Bible tells us, "was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken." (Luke 18:34)

There have been many times in my Christian life when I wish that I could have been with the disciples during Jesus's time, seeing the miracles that He did, eating a meal with Him, listening to His teachings firsthand.  Other times I am so glad that I live in my day, because I have the knowledge that the disciples did not yet have.

I have the written-down "code," that helps me understand spiritual mysteries:  the revealed Word of God.  The disciples could only understand in part, because Jesus's death, burial and resurrection hadn't happened yet!  Even though they had the prophets and their teachings, this saying went so far beyond their reasonings and understanding that it remained a mystery to them.

I also have the ultimate "code breaker," who indwells me:  the Holy Spirit.  He translates God's Word to me so that I can understand His teachings.  While I may not understand every word of God's message, it's okay, because He does!  He can help me comprehend the hidden truths that the disciples could not:  Jesus, God's Son, would die on the cross, personally taking my punishment for my sins, so that I can have eternal life and peace with God!

Thankfully, when I arrive at a "difficult passage" in the Bible, I can pray to the one who wrote it, and ask Him to "break the code" so that I may live and walk closer to Him.

When I talk with others today about God's Word, may the Lord allow me to share its message freely with others.

Time to get "cracking."


1 comment: