Monday, April 13, 2015

Public speaking

"Thou therefore gird up thy loins, and arise, and speak unto them all that I command thee: be not dismayed at their faces, lest I confound thee before them." Jeremiah 1:17


Good morning, dear friends!

When I was in school, I did not like giving speeches in front of the class.  I did it, but it was not something that I enjoyed.  It wasn't until I took drama in high school that I got over my fear of speaking in front of a group.  Even today I still am very nervous getting up in front of a group, even if I know that I am among friends, and have no real reason to fear.

I can't imagine what it would be like to address in public a group of people hostile to me.

There was one public speaking experience that was not fun for me.  In my sophomore year of college, I was required to take a philosophy class.  My teacher was very antagonistic to my Christian views and enjoyed ridiculing my thoughts and ideas in front of the group.  Early on in the class, I had to debate that God is the author of morality and that there are absolutes in this world because God ordained them.

I have never been so nervous speaking in front of a group in my life.  I don't know to this day if there were any Christians in that class, but I don't remember receiving any support from other students in that group.  I was on my own.

Well, not exactly on my own.

When I think about God's words to Jeremiah during the early days of his ministry, I can only imagine how much of a comfort it was to him to know that God was going to be putting His words in Jeremiah's mouth.  He did not have to wonder if he had the correct message, or if he was going to convey the wrong message to his audience.  He did not have to convince of his own intellect or experience.  He just had to make sure that he was where he needed to be, addressing the right group at the right time.

That certainly does not mean that he had an easy task.

What an encouragement to Jeremiah to know that God was not only going to give him the words to stay, but also assured him of his presence and protection during that time.  The last verse of this first chapter of Jeremiah records God's promise to him:

"And they shall fight against thee; but they shall not prevail against thee; for I am with thee, saith the Lord, to deliver thee." (Jeremiah 1:19)

Several truths jump out of this verse at me:

God told Jeremiah that his would not be an easy job.  Earlier in this passage, God tells Jeremiah, "...gird up thy loins, and arise, and speak unto them all that I command thee: be not dismayed at their faces..." (Jeremiah 1:17).  God was warning Jeremiah that this would be a difficult task, one that he would need to be prepared for, both physically--by girding up his loins--and mentally--by being prepared to have his message rejected, as would be evident on the faces of his hearers.  As God's prophet during a difficult time, Jeremiah had a hard message and a hard job to do.

God told Jeremiah that he could not go in his own strength.  The rest of verse 17 reads, "...lest I confound thee before them."  Even with God's words in his mouth, Jeremiah had to rest solely on God's words and His spirit to guide him.  If he tried to trust in his flesh, he would not be able to say what God had called him to say.

God promised Jeremiah that He would be with him the entire time.  Having God's words in his mouth was one thing, but having the presence of God with him was an entirely more comforting presence.  I would much rather have my husband in the room than a letter from him, or a text.  God promised Jeremiah:  "...for I am with thee, saith the Lord..."

God promised His help and deliverance.  At the end of verse 19, God promises to deliver Jeremiah from  those prevailing over him.  God promised that He would be with Jeremiah, even when others turned against him, perhaps even in the peril of his own life.

What amazing promises!  I read similar promises for God's children today.  Jesus right before He left this earth, encouraged His disciples to stay faithful in the task that He had set before them.  In Matthew 28:18-20, Jesus leaves His parting promise to His followers:

"All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.  Go ye therefore...teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:  and lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world."

Knowing that I have God's sending on my life, and His promises to equip and sustain me, and even the promise that He will never leave me, why don't I go?

Fear of what others may say?

My own pride?

My apathy?

May God help me today to be His faithful messager, relying on His strength as I share His Word, and trusting in His promises that He will not leave me alone.

There is no reason to have "stage fright," knowing that the God of the universe has given me all I need to be faithful to Him...



1 comment:

  1. 'Feels lovely'. Is excellence an item to look and quantify, is magnificence an inclination to detect or is excellence a plan to attempt? With each conceivable response to existing inquiries we get more inquiries all things considered. 야동비즈

    ReplyDelete