Thursday, April 23, 2015

Trusting

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding..." Proverbs 3:5

The view from here

Good morning, dear friends,

I'm a little bit later than usual getting to my blog this morning.   I guess my morning got off to a slower start than usual.  Usually I'm up at 5 am, but today I'm taking it easy.

Yesterday, when I was in town out to lunch with some of the teachers I teach English with, I wrenched my knee and went down.  That was it.  I hobbled back to the center, and taught a lesson sitting down, before my knight in shining armor came and whisked me away...to the doctor's.  Sprained knee, perhaps something torn inside, and a lot of pain.

I was trying to describe it to my children.  If 0 is fine and childbirth is 10, let's just call this one an eight.  Thankful for pain pills, and a lot of help from my family and friends.

One lady finished my lesson at work.

My kids were my legs.  My daughter even joked, "I can see where THIS is going."

My husband was my encourager, my strong arm, and my substitute legs.  It was very comical getting me into the doctor's office, into the house, but most especially into the car with a full leg brace on.

Have you ever tried to get into a car without being able to bend your leg?  Enough said.

Of course, all of this is perspective after a 10 hour sleep.  Yesterday, not so amusing.

Around 3 am, I woke up, frustrated because I could not get comfortable, crying from the pain, wondering what the next few days, weeks, or even months were going to be like.

Will I need surgery?  How will I get things done around the house?  How will I...the lists just kept replaying themselves in my head, and the more they tumbled around, the more frustrated I became.

I finally had to stop myself, and pray, and the Lord helped me to make a decision.

Was I going to be the kind of sick person that no one wants to be around, or am I going to let the Lord use this trial to teach me a lesson?  Am I going to wallow in self-pity, or am I going to get a grip on my emotions, and let the Lord use me to be a blessing to others?

I think I'll choose the latter.

I don't think this is going to be a quick recovery.  It might be, but I am preparing myself for the long haul.  And I want to look back on this moment of trial, and come out of it walking, literally I hope, closer to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment