Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Unfinished business

"And he said unto them, What things?" Luke 24:19


Good morning, dear friends!

I think my children are on to me.

It goes something like this:  There is a discussion taking place in one part of the house, and I am in another, but within hearing distance.  Maybe there is a loud discussion going on, or a conversation that I am not supposed to hear.  Maybe there is a wrong that has been done, and someone comes to me seeking justice (or, more likely, revenge.)  Many times, it is not a simple issue to resolve.  Even if I know mostly what's going on, I like to hear their spin on things.

My first question?

"What happened?"

My kids are starting to realize that most of the time, when I ask that question, I already know what has happened.  I just want them to give their story, tell me their feelings, express their wrongs or their mistreatment at the hands of the other.  I want to see if they will confess their own faults, their part of the drama, or if we are going to do this "the hard way."

(My kids are learning not to tattle on each other, unless they are ready to get the consequences for their wrongdoings as well.  Win-win situation for me--they are learning to solve their problems before they get to me, and I have less drama to witness.)

By the time the question is fully answered, and the drama of the moment is passed, I have a pretty good idea of what has happened.  Correction is given, if needed.  Advice is dispensed.  Hurt feelings are smoothed over. Forgiveness is accorded. Peace (at least a momentary cease-fire) reigns again in the house.

All because of one question:  "What happened?"

I'm not ready to leave the Easter story in Scripture just yet.  Every year I spend time meditating before Easter all of the dramatic events that led to the empty tomb.  I cannot help but want to linger there a little while longer. After all, all of human history led up to this event.  Now what?

I imagine that was the question on the minds of many of the disciples:  Now what?  Jesus is alive again, what were they supposed to do with this new knowledge?  At this moment in Luke 24, the news was so new, that they were still working it all out among themselves.

There were the two disciples leaving Jerusalem, still trying to unravel these happenings, when Jesus appears to them on the road, asking them what they were talking about.

I always have to smile when I hear their reaction to Jesus's question: "Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days?" (Luke 24:18)  If anyone in Jerusalem really knew what had happened, it was Jesus!

Jesus's question to them?  "What things?"  

Then, like my children, the disciples begin with their side of the story, explaining in the briefest of terms what had just happened.  They were so caught up in the moment of the drama unfolding in front of their eyes, that they missed the biggest picture.  

Little did they know, that Jesus was with them there during all these events, and was even talking with them at that very moment!  They were not able to see Him for who He really was, because "their eyes were holden that they should not know him."  (Luke 24:16)  God permitted Jesus's identity to remain a secret, for a time, until they had spoke their peace.

Their view of the recent events was dimmed, because of the enormity of the resurrection!  Jesus chided them for their unbelief, and then began to show them what really happened, from God's Word.  He began at the beginning, and told the wonderful story of redemption until their hearts "burned within" themselves, at the revelation of God's plan.

When they finally realized who Jesus was, He was gone again.

How must they have felt, to realize that Jesus had been with them the entire time, that they had been sharing their burdens, questions, and even unbelief with Jesus Himself!  What was their reaction afterwards, relating all that had happened to the disciples? I wonder how much of their side of the story they shared with the others? 

Then Jesus appeared, removing all doubt!  He had a body, that could be touched, and filled with food.  He spent time explaining all that had happened to Himself.  Their limited knowledge had been filled in, and then Jesus gave them a job to do:

"...and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem...but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high." (Luke 24:47,49) 

I am so thankful that Jesus took the time with the disciples, to make sure they understood the resurrection, so that there could be no more doubts as to what really happened.  Those men took that same knowledge and shared it with others, who shared it with others, until it eventually reached those who shared it with me.  I can have the same assurance as those first disciples, because they believed Jesus's Word, and passed it on.

May I be motivated today to continue to share this good news today.  Now that I have the "whole story," may I allow it to transform my life, give me direction for living, and good news to share with others.

May I always be ready to answer the question of Jesus: "What things?"


1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is good! "What things?" And, Jesus is right with them! Your best post yet, I think (and I like them all). What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete