Saturday, April 25, 2015

The View from the Chair

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13


Good morning, dear friends!

Day three, of my view from the chair.

It's easy, when I am forced to make a sudden change, to think in terms of what I cannot do.  For example, since Wednesday I have been either sitting or laying down for most of the day.

I know that sounds like a vacation for most, but I'm used to being up and at 'em, most of the time.

Even though I am supposed to walk some, just to keep my leg going a little, a lot of daily activities are on hold for right now.  I will not be planting any plants this week, or walking into town with my family, or jumping on the trampoline, or jogging, or any of the other activities the beautiful spring weather is beckoning me to do.

It would be easy to fall into the pity-party trap, and think about things that I am not ABLE to do.  However, the view from the chair, doesn't have to be a "can't" outlook, but a "can" outlook.  So, I can't walk or get around normally today, so what CAN I do?

I can delegate.  I have a house full of willing helpers and able bodies.  Others can handle the dishes, the floors, the laundry, for a few days.

I can talk!  I'm not going anywhere, so I have the chance to sit down and engage my children in meaningful conversation, and actually listen, without being distracted by the "busy-ness" of life.

I can encourage!  I can sit and type at the computer, and write notes of encouragement and prayers to those close to me.

I can pray!  And I have been.  I have so many people all around me, whose needs are far greater than mine.

Many times I get so distracted by all the daily tasks around me, that I forget just to sit, and take the time, to listen, feel, act and interact with others.  There is always that next task clamoring for my attention.

Actually, the view from the chair, is not that bad. I can do a lot, if I keep the right perspective and focus on the "why" I'm doing it.

1 comment:

  1. Just got around to reading this one. I especially love the photo! I know you are frustrated by being "in the chair" as anyone would be, but it does have its good points. Hugs today.

    ReplyDelete