Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Growing Like Weeds

"But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience." Luke 8:15


Good morning, dear friends!

It was another beautiful spring afternoon here in Boves today, and I couldn't resist puttering out in the garden this afternoon.  There were lots of things I could have been doing, but there was a job that had been waiting for me for some time....

WEEDS

I think when we get to heaven, we're going to find out that God's favorite flower is the dandelion.  No, really.  Those things are UNSTOPPABLE!  Just when you think you have cleared out the last one, your children decide to blow fuzzies all over the yard.  Although...who can blame them?  I like blowing the fuzzy flowers, too...

I am always amazed as I am working on the dandelions, how large the root system is!  It is no wonder that dandelions survive weed killer, bleach and nuclear holocaust.  Their roots are so firmly anchored that it takes much digging, pulling, and hacking away at the ground before the dandelion breaks loose!

That is the secret of the dandelion:  strong roots.

I have been reading much lately in the Bible on the subject of plants for the French blog I help author.  The next few weeks will be a series on trees, plants, flowers, and all things spring.

One thing that has amazed me is how often God uses roots to illustrate spiritual truths.  Here are some things I have observed these past few days:

Roots, though invisible, are the support structure of the plant.  As a Christian, my faith in Christ must be my foundation on which I build my life.  In Colossians 2:7, I read that my roots in the faith come only through Christ's work on the cross:  "Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

Roots bring nourishment and stability to the entire plant.   "Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit. (Jeremiah 17:7-8)

Good roots are essential to healthy plants.  All plants have needs for the right kind of food.  Ephesians 3:17 reminds me where I should place my "roots as a Christian,"in love..."  God's love is the foundation of my life as a Christian.  If I am not rooted in His love, then I will be weak and not useful for the work He has called me to do today.
so that I may grow:  "That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded

The next time I am working in the garden on an especially stubborn plant, may God remind me how important my roots in Christ are.  May I stay firmly anchored in the Word of God, so that I may grow to be a healthy, mature Christian that brings honor to my Lord.

Time to get growing...

2 comments:

  1. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. 야한동영상

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome dispatch! I am indeed getting apt to over this info, is truly neighborly my buddy. Likewise fantastic blog here among many of the costly info you acquire. Reserve up the beneficial process you are doing here. 한국야동닷컴

    ReplyDelete