Friday, April 3, 2015

Green Means Go, Red Means...

"In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes." Judges 21:25


Good morning, dear friends!

As I have mentioned already in this blog, my children and I walk to school.  In our little village of not quite 3000 people, in our fifteen minute walk to school, we have three crosswalks, equipped with the "red man, green man" indicator.  Green means go, red means dead, I usually joke with my kids, but they understand the significance.  

It's such an easy system, that even my children when they were little, could understand.

At least, it should be easy.

Then, there are those mornings when you get a late start.  Or when your children wait patiently at the crosswalk while other children and parents disregard the "red man," and cross anyway. There's the intersection where there's "never" any cars coming.  My children would look up questioningly, as if asking if it was okay for them to cross as well.

I must admit, there have been times when we have crossed on "red means dead."  What should be a clear cut and dry warning to be heeded, becomes a symbol of confusion to my children.  Is it okay to cross when mom says so, or should I always obey the light?

SIGH

Why is it so hard to obey?  Even when the situation is so familiar, and obedience so clear-cut, why do I allow so many excuses to hinder my obedience?

..."Everyone else is doing it."

..."There are no immediate consequences."

..."Just this once..."

..."I'm having a bad day/month/year/life."

One of the saddest verses in all of Scripture to me is the last verse of Judges, at the top of this blog: "every man did that which was right in his own eyes." To think that every person would disregard the clear warnings of God, and make their own laws, their own judgments on right and wrong, is just sad.

Of course, when I do it, isn't it just as sad?

So many times I try to bend God's laws, find loopholes, or reasons why they don't apply to me, instead of just obeying.  How much easier, and simpler, my life would be, if I would just remember that God's rule in my life is not to hurt me, but to make my way easier.

I John 5:3 is a great reminder for me: "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."  If I truly love God, then I will keep His commandments, which are not a burden, but a blessing.

The next time I am tempted to look for the "exception" to obeying God's Word, may I be reminded of the example I hope to set in front of my children.  I want them to obey because they love me, not because they fear the punishment of disobedience.  I know that the rules I set for them are for their good, and I want them to seek this truth--that I love them--more than for them to seek a way out of their obedience.

I want to obey God today, even in the "little things," because of my love for Him.  May God help me to pray for wisdom, make right choices today, and experience the victory that comes when I say yes in obedience to God.

The crosswalk light has changed, and I am waiting...will I make the right choices today?

No comments:

Post a Comment