Monday, April 27, 2015

Good news from far away

"As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25


Good morning, dear friends,
Photo: petergriffin publicdomainpictures

I know there is a lot of good and bad on both sides of the issue, but can I just say how thankful I am for instant communication?

I know, I know, sometimes it seems like (and I would agree) that there are times in our day and time where we are TOO connected.  The "glowing magic box" too often vies for my attention when there are real people in the room with whom I need to be communicating.  It is very tempting to check Facebook, or see what is trending at any given time.  

For me, being here in France, though, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Just yesterday, I read of the birth of a daughter for whom I had been praying.  I am in contact with people from all over the world, who share their prayer requests and burdens.  I hear about people that need prayer, and can follow the updates until the need is met.  I know what is going on in family members' lives, some of whom I would have a very hard time keeping in touch with otherwise.  

When I think of how far and how fast technology has come in recent years, I am amazed and many times overwhelmed by the changes.  After all, when my husband and I were dating, only 19 years ago, we only had snail mail and fixed landlines with which to support our two and a half year long distance relationship.  I read recently that the average person living in present day time will have to learn to use at least 20,000 different pieces of technology, just in everyday life, everything from alarm clocks to portable phones.  The times are definitely changing.

Something that does not change? 

Good news, especially good news from far away.  The way in which it is delivered has changed, but good news is always welcome, no matter the age.

The Bible verse at the top of this blog came to mind yesterday as I was thinking about the way our good news is delivered these days:  "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." (Proverbs 25:25) How comforting, how refreshing, how needed, is that cup of cold water when you are thirsty.  How comforting, how refreshing, how needed, are those words of encouragement from folks who live far away.  It is such a blessing to be reassured that people care, that people pray, that people weep with me, even though I haven't physically been in their presence for a long time.

I am also reminded of another "good news," that came from a far country, that refreshed my dry and thirsty soul:  "And the angel said unto them, Fear not, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." (Luke 2:10-11)

I do not always take the time as I should, but I want to thank you, dear readers, for your constant prayer and support for our ministry here.  It has been such an encouragement to me to read your comments, be assured of your prayers, and just to know that someone cares.

May I always be willing to share the "good news" of my days with you, and share the greatest news of all, of Jesus coming to earth, with others around me.

2 comments:

  1. YES! Just knowing people are praying for you and with you makes all the difference! God bless you as you minister in our neighboring country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Greenland! This is my first time visiting your blog. I look forward to coming back! :-)

    ReplyDelete