Friday, April 10, 2015

My Words

"And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth." Jeremiah 1:9


Good morning, dear friends!

I have been given such an interesting open door here in France.  The Lord has allowed me to work two days a week teaching English to small children here in France.  I usually teach 3-4 year olds, a few 6 year olds, and then some teen lessons.  It's more play time than school, but it always amazes me what actually stays in their minds.

One of the funnier aspects about the center where I teach is that the teachers come from all different kinds of English speaking countries:  USA, England, Ireland, Canada, and Australia.  A common language, you say?

Not on your life.

We have had many light hearted disputes about what is proper vocabulary, proper spelling, proper grammar, and proper expressions.  Is it an eraser or a rubber?  Is it a bin or a trash can?  Can I have a candy or a sweet? Do I check the messages on the answering machine, or the answer phone?  On and on it goes.

The funny part of this is that the children we are teaching are directly influenced by the teachers who teach them.  My students hear "banana" and not the British "baNAna."  They ask for erasers, not rubbers.  They put their trash in the trash can, and not their rubbish in the bin.

The children have no idea what is going on, or the differences in the language.  At three or four years old, they mimic what we say, and don't wonder if there is another way to say it or not.

I have literally put words in their mouth, and they have no say-so about it.

If only it were that simple in real life.

I have foot-in-mouth syndrome:  open mouth, insert foot.  Words that sound great in my head do not when they come flying out of my lips.  Sometimes my virus checker does not go off, and even things that sound bad in my head still make it out of my mouth.  Sometimes I wish that life came with a script, an editor, and a prerecorded laugh track.  I guess that's why TV can be a lot funnier than real life.

As I was reading in Jeremiah this morning, I read about Jeremiah's hesitations to be God's messenger.  Even though God had given him every assurance that He had called Jeremiah to carry His message before Jeremiah was ever born, Jeremiah was still reluctant: "behold, I cannot speak, for I am a child." (Jeremiah 1:6)  Perhaps Jeremiah was concerned about his physical age, or lack of maturity, or even in his understanding of God's Word.  They are all valid concerns.  Can any person think to have words mature and complete enough to describe the fulness of God's teaching?  Of course not.

God reassures Jeremiah in the best way possible: "Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak." (Jeremiah 1:7)  Then, a few verses later, I read, "Then the Lord put forth his hand, and touched my mouth.  And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth." (Jeremiah 1:9)

To someone who is concerned about his speech, being misunderstood, or giving the wrong message, is there anything more comforting than that?  Jeremiah did not have to worry about what to say--God was going to put the message in his mouth so that what he said would literally change the way he spoke.

I know this is a promise given directly in relation to Jeremiah's prophecy, but does not God promise to help us as well, when we don't know what to say?  How many times I find myself in situations with others when I want to be a help, an encouragement, or to share the Bible with others, but I struggle with what to say?  I am so thankful for verses like James 1:5, which states, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." I have the promise from God, that if I will just ask for help, God will send it my way.

God's words to Jeremiah are also very sobering.  As God's prophet for a specific time, Jeremiah could not change the message he was given.  God's words are not always easy words to say.  He could not sugarcoat or withhold words so as not to offend.  Jeremiah could not be concerned if the people would listen, or hear, or even care.  (Reading through Jeremiah has shown me that the people DIDN'T listen, or hear, or care.)

As a Christian, I am called to speak God's Word to others.  Sometimes it hurts others' feelings, is misunderstood, makes people angry, or makes them think I'm a Fruit Loop.  Does that mean that I do not have the responsibility to do so?  No, in the Bible I am reminded that God wants to use my mouth as His mouth, to speak words to others so that they will hear His voice.

I have often reminded my children (and myself at the same time) about how powerful words can be.  Words can be used to help or hurt, build or break, cleanse and heal, or divide and destroy.  May the words that come out of my mouth today be a reflection of the Lord that I claim to serve.  May I not be afraid to speak the words that God puts in my mouth, and withhold those He does not wish me to say.

My little English students are my little parrots.  I must be careful of my diction, pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary.  If I speak sloppily or lazily, it will impact the way they learn. It would not be a reflection on their learning, but of my teaching.

May my speech today, reflect my Heavenly Teacher, and may my "accent" and word choice reflect my study of His words...


No comments:

Post a Comment