Sunday, May 24, 2015

Challenged

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105


Good morning, dear friends,
Photo: condesign pixabay 

I usually don't participate in the many Facebook challenges that come across my feed everyday.  You know the ones:  "Post this if you love..." or "Only a few people will have the guts to post..." or "My cause is so important that if you don't repost this, then you are a horrible person." (OK, that last one might be a slight exaggeration, but sometimes that's how I feel when I read some posts.)

Yesterday morning, as I was checking my Facebook feed, I noticed that one of my friends here in France "challenged" me to list three Bible verses that have impacted my life.  Now, that is a challenge that I gladly accept.  Any chance to share about what God's doing in my life through His Word is a worthy commitment.

There are so many choices.  The Lord has laid different passages on my heart throughout my Christian walk that it is hard to limit the field to three.  I have decided to choose three that have in recent years impacted my life for Christ here in France.

No condemnation:  Romans 8:1: "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit."  I remember very clearly when the light of this verse finally broke through my heart, a few years ago after a Bible study here at church.   I realized at that moment the freedom that I possess in Christ.  I do not need to live in fear, that I will be judged according to my sin.  I am FREE.  What a comfort and burden lifter that verse has been to me.  All my past wrongs, gone.  No condemnation.

Right thinking:  Philippians 4:8: "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."  My thoughts are too important to let them be scattered all around, chasing down every imaginary desire or random intuition that Satan and my flesh would have me to believe.  If I do not "get a grip" on my thoughts, I will allow my steps to stray further and further from Christ and His ways.  How many times a day I need to refocus my thoughts.

Good sleep.  A verse that has encouraged me since I was a young Christian is a verse that I still share regularly with my children when they have restless nights, because they are worried or upset about something.  Many times the Lord has brought this same verse back to me, as I in my turn have been concerned about my husband, my children, our needs, and the ministry here.  Psalm 4:8: "I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou Lord only makest me dwell in safety."  I do not have to toss and turn and wonder and worry how things are going to happen, or even if they are going to happen.  I will lay down, in peace, and sleep the sleep that comes from trusting in God.

Well, there you have it.  I know this is a shorter post than I usually write, but I would love to hear from you, to discover the verses that have in turn most impacted your lives as Christians.  Feel free to comment here or on Facebook!

Enjoy a special Son-day, wherever you may be today!

No comments:

Post a Comment